When to develop slappers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I wish I had just had my kid hit LH from the start..bad dad.
I'm a natural lefty hitter, but when my dad got me my first set of golf clubs for my 11th birthday, he could only get them in righty. I golfed as a righty until I was 25 when I finally got lefty clubs.

For the record; I can't golf from either side...

May 13, 2023
I'm a natural lefty hitter, but when my dad got me my first set of golf clubs for my 11th birthday, he could only get them in righty. I golfed as a righty until I was 25 when I finally got lefty clubs.

For the record; I can't golf from either side...
Welll you experimented LOL

Aug 4, 2023
Depends on her age and/or what level SB she’s playing in. Younger slappers (I’d say 12U and below) can get away with being a little slower because the fielding isn’t quite as sharp yet. Same as if she played on a lower-level TB team.

Also, I would hope most slapping instructors are teaching their students all facets of slapping which would also include being able to hit for contact or power from the left-hand side.
My daughter is a rhb and I'm thinking about putting her on the left side. She's still 10u eligible but is doing what most do in the fall and playing 12u. From the right side she gets around the bases in 14 seconds flat and just a little under. She's only 54" and is going into the 6th grade.

May 27, 2013
My daughter is a rhb and I'm thinking about putting her on the left side. She's still 10u eligible but is doing what most do in the fall and playing 12u. From the right side she gets around the bases in 14 seconds flat and just a little under. She's only 54" and is going into the 6th grade.

My personal opinion - you always have time to switch them over. My dd didn’t switch over until she was 14. At 10-12U she was tall and lanky but slow as molasses. Now, at 20 she’s still tall and lanky but fast as anything. I’d personally wait until she hits a growth spurt to see if she stays fast or starts hitting for more power.

Jul 22, 2015
The main factor I would consider before making a switch is the player's potential to develop power from the right side. I'd probably wait until 12 to 14 yo before making that determination. She really doesn't need to have much above average speed to become a successful slapper, although that certainly helps. My dd had to switch at 14yo due to a recurrent injury, and she was very successful despite only having a little above average speed.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD is a natural lefty and wasn't necessarily fast, but I had her learn to slap to make her a triple threat. She got pretty good at bunting for a hit or power-slapping it over the 3B's head if that was what the defense gave her.

It is probably a 6-9 month commitment to swap sides, and most players aren't going to be effective past 10u just slapping; they need to be a triple threat.

A friend's DD was a decent bunter with decent speed, so when she was 14, she tried switching to the left side for about 6-months but wasn't able to hit for power from the left side, so switched back to righty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA