When to develop slappers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I will teach a natural lefty to slap if she has speed or not. Unless she's a complete turtle, of course. I think it's good for a lefty to have options, and learning to slap if you're already a lefty is not that difficult. I wouldn't turn any right-handed around, though, unless they had great speed.

Here's another dilemma for you, though. I have a hitting student who is very fast on the bases. It would seem like you'd want to turn her around. But she came to me to improve her right-handed hitting so that's what we worked on. This year, as a freshman in JV ball, she hit seven home runs. The way JV works around here, that a dinger about once every three games. Her HS coaches want to make a slapper out of her. I'm not so sure that's a good idea, though. I don't know that she would gain that much when she's smacking extra base hits on a regular basis.

Curious what all of you think.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I will teach a natural lefty to slap if she has speed or not. Unless she's a complete turtle, of course. I think it's good for a lefty to have options, and learning to slap if you're already a lefty is not that difficult. I wouldn't turn any right-handed around, though, unless they had great speed.

Here's another dilemma for you, though. I have a hitting student who is very fast on the bases. It would seem like you'd want to turn her around. But she came to me to improve her right-handed hitting so that's what we worked on. This year, as a freshman in JV ball, she hit seven home runs. The way JV works around here, that a dinger about once every three games. Her HS coaches want to make a slapper out of her. I'm not so sure that's a good idea, though. I don't know that she would gain that much when she's smacking extra base hits on a regular basis.

Curious what all of you think.

Casey was the number 3 hitter on her team. At 5'5 140 lbs she had close to 50 rbi's and 5 dingers. 2 lefty hitters where in front of her. One was a turn around 1 was a natural lefty.
Those 2 girls got on base very often. Then they needed someone to hit them in.
That was my DD's role.

So Ken Every team needs some power hitter's... IMO

Straightleg

May 8, 2012
NJ
There are many much more experienced with slapping on here than me, but if the girl is regularly hitting for extra bases and has power to hit over the fence...not sure why anyone would want to turn her into a slapper. I think they are blessed with a speedy power hitter. Just because a girl is fast, imo is not a reason to switch to slapping. If my DD had more pop in her bat, I'm not so sure I would have moved her, but with only avg power at best we switched to utilize her speed.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Many posters do not understand slapping. All I can tell you watch college softball. Most are not only using the slap to get on base with high batting averages but hitting HR's. The day that you play college ball and can only slap, doesn't apply to most of todays players. I read some funny posters on the baseball sites, about teach them to slap since they can't hit. You can tell they don't watch college softball. If you think batting left with speed isn't important look at the lineups! Look up the highest batting averages in D1 NCAA softball, might give you an idea how important slapping is in the game of softball.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I understand that natural speed is a huge plus, but I am faced with the following dilemma. My youngest (8U) daughter is right handed, slight in stature, sees the ball better left handed, and has average speed. She loves softball and envisions playing for a long time. It is my opinion that she will have to become a slapper to play beyond rec. ball and hope she can develop her speed through proper mechanics and repetition. I turned her around in August and (no surprise) she is getting on base nearly every time since they cannot defend against the slap yet. Now, how do you all feel about teaching speed? Can it be done, and what is the best approach?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Marc Dagenais ( this is his site) Might be the person to ask? He worked with my dd , who is very fast, but he made her quicker! He has a section on her with advice. At 8 kids change. It will depend on her body as she gets older and how you and your wife were built. There are college camps on speed and agility and have many ways to work on this. In college my dd has to work out in the sand volley ball pit and she is finding out she has muscles she didn't know she had that hurt!

Aug 4, 2023
Marc Dagenais ( this is his site) Might be the person to ask? He worked with my dd , who is very fast, but he made her quicker! He has a section on her with advice. At 8 kids change. It will depend on her body as she gets older and how you and your wife were built. There are college camps on speed and agility and have many ways to work on this. In college my dd has to work out in the sand volley ball pit and she is finding out she has muscles she didn't know she had that hurt!
When you say she's fast, how fast is she? How fast is fast tbh? My daughter is fast as well. She doesn't hit for much power as a rhb, many people have suggested switching to a lhb as well as slapping. I loves everyone's expertise and knowledge on the matter. Thank you!

May 27, 2013
When you say she's fast, how fast is she? How fast is fast tbh? My daughter is fast as well. She doesn't hit for much power as a rhb, many people have suggested switching to a lhb as well as slapping. I loves everyone's expertise and knowledge on the matter. Thank you!
Depends on her age and/or what level SB she’s playing in. Younger slappers (I’d say 12U and below) can get away with being a little slower because the fielding isn’t quite as sharp yet. Same as if she played on a lower-level TB team.

Also, I would hope most slapping instructors are teaching their students all facets of slapping which would also include being able to hit for contact or power from the left-hand side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA