What is a fast ball in FP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Honestly, I have 100% bought into the Hillhouse method. All the kids I work with, their primary pitch is a drop ball, and yes if its released a touch too late, its just a fastball. I believe that pitches should have as much movement as possible in addition to speed. My dd for example only uses 4 pitches. Drop, Rise, Change, and Fast. The fastball is usually used as a waste pitch (high out of the zone, in an attempt to get the batter to chase).
To answer your initial question my basic definition of a fastball is either a two or four seam grip, thrown with as much speed as possible with little to no movement.

Coach. Did you know why the peel drop is released a touch too late? It is because the grip most girls use, causes spin restriction by the thumb and the ball has a hard time getting out of the grip between the thumb and the fingers tips, that spin the ball forward. Haveyou been to my FB page and seem the grip for the real deal peel drop?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
'The use of the fastball' has been discussed many times on this board.

You should go back and review previous posts on these subjects. The fastball discussion has beat to death, thats why very few are interested in trying to dredge up a dead horse.

You have seen my video clips on the double pump and the softball submarine wind ups and what they look like. You have said you started out with the sling shot wind up, just like Joan Joyce and Bertha Reagan Tickey used, so you should know what that wind up looks like.

You also say that using a backswing in your wind up is a 'Girls' way of pitching. You surely realize that when you use a slingshot wind up you draw the ball down and to the rear, not unlike the backswing you say is the girls way of pitching.

So you were a 'girly' pitcher? Is that what you are saying?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
'The use of the fastball' has been discussed many times on this board.

You should go back and review previous posts on these subjects. The fastball discussion has beat to death, thats why very few are interested in trying to dredge up a dead horse.

You have seen my video clips on the double pump and the softball submarine wind ups and what they look like. You have said you started out with the sling shot wind up, just like Joan Joyce and Bertha Reagan Tickey used, so you should know what that wind up looks like.

You also say that using a backswing in your wind up is a 'Girls' way of pitching. You surely realize that when you use a slingshot wind up you draw the ball down and to the rear, not unlike the backswing you say is the girls way of pitching.

So you were a 'girly' pitcher? Is that what you are saying?

The sling shot as in Harvey S. and Weldon H. Then came Joe Lynch and the wind mill.
The back arm swing added to the windmill is a girl thing.

I don't want see your demos on video. I want to see one of your students using both wind ups in a game stunning hitters into not swinging and striking out.

My new idea threads are more useful than your threads of three speeds...The A level of men FP
Tell me your summary of the dead horse fastball threads of the past. More than 5 pitches and 3 speeds. Chelsea would laugh at you too. Sorry but the truth hurts. I was 57 once.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Spend your own time going back and finding the answers to the inane questions you ask.

The young lady in my avatar picture, she's a 12 under from Canada. Also came back as a 16 year old for another session. She pitched for the Canadian team for her age. Her Dad's statement is on my sneaky softball pitching page. She used 3 wind ups in her games. Her ERA was 0.00 in international competition.

Do a search and maybe you can find that video you seek.

Here is her dads statement;

"Dear Coach Hal, Just wanted to let you know that Maureen has pitched in 3 international tournaments so far. She is undefeated and her era is 0.00 in international competition. The tactics she learned working with you are amazing. Most of the time the batters seem like they have been sprayed with freeze gel. The advice from your book started it all off and got her noticed by the top pitching coach in Canada. Thanks again for all the help."

Dan and Maureen M, Canada

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2010
Honestly, I have 100% bought into the Hillhouse method. All the kids I work with, their primary pitch is a drop ball, and yes if its released a touch too late, its just a fastball. I believe that pitches should have as much movement as possible in addition to speed. My dd for example only uses 4 pitches. Drop, Rise, Change, and Fast. The fastball is usually used as a waste pitch (high out of the zone, in an attempt to get the batter to chase).
To answer your initial question my basic definition of a fastball is either a two or four seam grip, thrown with as much speed as possible with little to no movement.

Coach James, I couldn't agree more with this post. DD's coach commented this weekend how much whip and spin DD has compared to his DD. ( who happens to go to a local pitching coach ) I have followed Bill's method from the beginning, but did incorporate Boardmembers I/R in the Classroom sequence of drills into her practices.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
You want me to give a summary, OK. You pitched at a high level, You had some speed and a dropball. ANYBODY CAN HAVE SPEED AND EVERYBODY has a dropball, gravity helps doesnt it. You didnt throw a rise because you didnt have one. You apperently used open mechanics, very limited on what pitches you CAN throw.

Speed and a dropball makes you just another pitcher.

You need to get out off your beach and actually go watch some games. Watching tv and college games has clouded your mind.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Spend your own time going back and finding the answers to the inane questions you ask.

The young lady in my avatar picture, she's a 12 under from Canada. Also came back as a 16 year old for another session. She pitched for the Canadian team for her age. Her Dad's statement is on my sneak softball pitching page. She used 3 wind ups in her games. Her ERA was 0.00 in international competition.

Do a search and maybe you can find that video you seek.

The last thing I would interested in, is a pitcher with 3 wind ups, 3 speeds, and 6 pitches that did the same thing.

I'm more interested in pitchers like Chelsea with 3 pitches, 2 speeds and one wind up.

Was your fastball, a rise in the zone that didn't hop?

International competition? 0.00 ERA? Go USA

Her dad read the book and came back 4 years later for another hour session?

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The last thing I would interested in, is a pitcher with 3 wind ups, 3 speeds, and 6 pitches that did the same thing.

I'm more interested in pitchers like Chelsea with 3 pitches, 2 speeds and one wind up.

Was your fastball, a rise in the zone that didn't hop?

I have said this many times on here; If you throw a drop, it better drop, same with a curve, cutter or rise. If you throw a fastball it has to be overpowering fast or it will come right back at you.

My bent fingered riseball was the one that hopped. My fasdtball was just as fast but straight as an arrow. I was also so accurate with it that I could put it in the webbing of my catcher's glove wherever he placed it. My speed WAS overpowering.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
original

This thread could get good. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA