What is a fast ball in FP?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
What is a fastball and what is it supposed to do? Just go fast and straight? What is the grip?
Is it a peel drop that doesn't break good?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I thought this was a fast pitch discussion forum. There are three main pitches in fast pitch. Up ,down and change up. That is all Thomas throws. Right? But most people, on here, talk about fastballs, curve balls, screw balls, back arm swings, and drop balls, meaning mostly, roll over, or turn over drops, because very few girls throw peel drops.
Why isn't the Thomas way, a way that every girl could/should learn? Who is better than her right now? No back arm swing, no roll over drop, no curves, no screw balls, and no fast balls. Seriously coach james, do you teach a fastball?

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I thought this was a fast pitch discussion forum. There are three main pitches in fast pitch. Up ,down and change up. That is all Thomas throws. Right? But most people, on here, talk about fastballs, curve balls, screw balls, back arm swings, and drop balls, meaning mostly, roll over, or turn over drops, because very few girls throw peel drops.
Why isn't the Thomas way, a way that every girl could/should learn? Who is better than her right now? No back arm swing, no roll over drop, no curves, no screw balls, and no fast balls. Seriously coach james, do you teach a fastball?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I'm in the learned group here that says there is no such thing. Just another F word. (in context)

I do have a question....I guess this is a good a place as any, since it looks like no revelant answers are just burning the broad ban... Maybe it can be used as an example for others to show their "Fastpitch" grip... The hex #'s to match BG is... 250,250,250

What is this grip supposed to do. I got it from a pic yesterday a Real Photographer got of a game in my area, played this weekend....Making the point that you might hide it in the glove, but cant hide it from a 7000...

Also, there will be no lenses allowed at the Derby this year.... :{(( Also explains why ESPN won't have a setup for IP reviews @ WCWS this year.

Once I figure out what it is supposed to do, I'm going to come up with my own F-astball grip to try out... I going to use this one, except I'm going to have the thumb & pinky & the ring curl to a knuckle ball grip. I think it will be easy to remember... LOL

perfect-circle-albums-x_pitching-picture3949-grip.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Honestly, I have 100% bought into the Hillhouse method. All the kids I work with, their primary pitch is a drop ball, and yes if its released a touch too late, its just a fastball. I believe that pitches should have as much movement as possible in addition to speed. My dd for example only uses 4 pitches. Drop, Rise, Change, and Fast. The fastball is usually used as a waste pitch (high out of the zone, in an attempt to get the batter to chase).
To answer your initial question my basic definition of a fastball is either a two or four seam grip, thrown with as much speed as possible with little to no movement.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

You have assumed from your first day that the roll over is the preferred drop ball among female pitchers. Yet on this forum I rarely hear about girls being taught or using the roll over. From what I read there seems to be a peel drop preference.

Oh and what is a back arm swing pitch, sounds interesting.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
You have assumed from your first day that the roll over is the preferred drop ball among female pitchers. Yet on this forum I rarely hear about girls being taught or using the roll over. From what I read there seems to be a peel drop preference.

Oh and what is a back arm swing pitch, sounds interesting.

The roll over is not preferred, by most girls, on this forum, but it is taught my most PCs accoss the country... Bill used to come on here, remember. Change is going to do you good. Any time, and I agree.

The back arm swing pitch is the girl's WAY, of getting to the K position for the release of that yellow thingy.

The back arm swing pitch, without the arm circle is the sneaky wind up that stuns the hitter into not swinging.

Hal calls it his submarine wind up, I thin . It's almost like the sling shot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC