Umpire directions for my DS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
My 9 YO DD had to deal with an ump constantly warning her she was getting too close to the batter. There were no interference calls all game or for the tournament. I've been working with DD all spring to be closer because she was too far back. Our pitcher is not a fireballer, so if her catcher is not as close as possible, there are more pitches going to the backstop. I'll have to see if the ump's coaching has a lasting effect and we have to start the process of keeping her close over again.

Mine got popped in the upper arm with a bat a couple of times last year, because she sits too close to the batter. I am constantly telling her to move back. I can't watch every single thing all the time from the dugout. A little help from the ump would have saved me a couple of heart attacks in those spots.

Jun 14, 2014
Ca
I too like the ump helping out, however, come talk to the coach or myself first. If there is no interference than there is no issue. My DD moves herself back and forth depending on where the batter is in the box, the only time(s) she has ever been hit is by a thrown bat or 4. I do not think it is the job of the umpire however to correct her positioning or what stance she is in. If he is that concerned about how your DD or DS is playing the position how can he be watching the infield movements or the strike that just happened.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
As a PU, I won't tell a catcher to back away from the batter, but I may make a comment to them that they are getting very close to the batter and let them decide.

I have found that some catchers are so focused on catching and doing all that is involved with the position that they just aren't aware of how close they are to the batter.
If I have an opportunity, I will mention something to the coach between innings if it is a habitual thing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This was one I hadn't heard/seen before...While the opposing team was warming up before their defensive half of the inning, the ump walks over to our batter on deck and starts offering swing mechanics advice, which included a demonstration of swinging down to the ball. He seemed pleased with himself and walked back behind the place. I immediately told my batter (one of our better hitters) not to do ANY of what he just said.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Happened again, DS is pitching this time. Two out 3-2 count DS throws a fast ball Ump puts his fist out to ring the batter up, hesitates and calls ball four. catcher turns with a look of bewilderment and ump says "if you wouldn't have moved your glove that would have been a strike".
I asked the ump to explain to me how a strike that he indicated with the punch out motion then becomes a ball? I was invited to stand behind the back stop and watch balls and strikes to see that it wasn't easy. I am still wondering how he refrained from tossing me with my response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors