Coach Interference Explanation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2023
Hey, all!

New here, and new to 10U, so I’ll probably be frequent in here.

A week ago, there was a situation with an umpire and I need clarification on the scenario:

We have a batter who hits the ball, and safely makes it to first base and is rounding to go to second. Around this time the infield is trying to get the ball back to the pitcher and we were going to get two out of it because we didn’t respect their defense to make a play at second. About the same time our player hits first base, and while the ball is still live, the opposing coach walks onto the field of play with his hands raised and yells, “TIME!”. Realizing the ball was still live, he knew he messed up, and reversed course back towards the dugout. When he yelled time, our runner had just touched first and was headed to second. She stopped when she heard him yell time and hesitated about proceeding to second because she thought the umpire yelled time (and she saw the coach walking on the field). I told our runner to go to second, thinking she would be awarded that base anyway, but the field ump called her out and said “the runner left early, she’s out”. I argued the call with the field ump and plate ump. The field ump said he didn’t see the coach, even though everyone else did and it stopped the play, and the plate ump said she hesitated on her path to second (not because of the coach, which is completely false).

The way I looked at this was she was intending on advancing before the coach yelled time and entered the field of play during a live ball. Ball would be declared dead and she would proceed to her intended base. At a minimum, the play is dead and she returns to first. But she was called out with the stated reason of “leaving early” which makes no sense, then they put it on the look-back rule, even though the pitcher had not made it to the circle. I’ve looked it up and found convincing pieces of rules claiming interference for this scenario, but both umpires were adamant I was wrong. And I’m not one to typically argue, but it was their blatant disregard of an opposing coach yelling time with his hands in the air and walking on the field of play five feet from our runner. The plate ump did agree and say “I see what you’re saying (admitting to the coach walking on the field) but she didn’t hesitate because of that”. Again, everyone stopped when this coach walked on the field. It disrupted the game enough to where the defense stopped as well. I’m needing clarification for future reference. It also has a lot of coaches asking questions that were there waiting for their next game. Even the coach that walked on the field said he thought it would’ve ended in his favor and was seeking further clarification.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Hey, all!

New here, and new to 10U, so I’ll probably be frequent in here.

A week ago, there was a situation with an umpire and I need clarification on the scenario:

We have a batter who hits the ball, and safely makes it to first base and is rounding to go to second. Around this time the infield is trying to get the ball back to the pitcher and we were going to get two out of it because we didn’t respect their defense to make a play at second. About the same time our player hits first base, and while the ball is still live, the opposing coach walks onto the field of play with his hands raised and yells, “TIME!”. Realizing the ball was still live, he knew he messed up, and reversed course back towards the dugout. When he yelled time, our runner had just touched first and was headed to second. She stopped when she heard him yell time and hesitated about proceeding to second because she thought the umpire yelled time (and she saw the coach walking on the field). I told our runner to go to second, thinking she would be awarded that base anyway, but the field ump called her out and said “the runner left early, she’s out”. I argued the call with the field ump and plate ump. The field ump said he didn’t see the coach, even though everyone else did and it stopped the play, and the plate ump said she hesitated on her path to second (not because of the coach, which is completely false).

The way I looked at this was she was intending on advancing before the coach yelled time and entered the field of play during a live ball. Ball would be declared dead and she would proceed to her intended base. At a minimum, the play is dead and she returns to first. But she was called out with the stated reason of “leaving early” which makes no sense, then they put it on the look-back rule, even though the pitcher had not made it to the circle. I’ve looked it up and found convincing pieces of rules claiming interference for this scenario, but both umpires were adamant I was wrong. And I’m not one to typically argue, but it was their blatant disregard of an opposing coach yelling time with his hands in the air and walking on the field of play five feet from our runner. The plate ump did agree and say “I see what you’re saying (admitting to the coach walking on the field) but she didn’t hesitate because of that”. Again, everyone stopped when this coach walked on the field. It disrupted the game enough to where the defense stopped as well. I’m needing clarification for future reference. It also has a lot of coaches asking questions that were there waiting for their next game. Even the coach that walked on the field said he thought it would’ve ended in his favor and was seeking further clarification.
I can't go deep in the weeds without a rule book handy, but it sounds like a violation that should have awarded your runner 2nd base. My bigger point is that at 10U you'll probably have plenty of goofy things happen due to mistakes and incompetence that will boggle your mind. The good news is that often times you and your team can learn something from it, and these moments won't matter in the long run. They'll just be "remember when..." stories.

Sep 15, 2023
I can't go deep in the weeds without a rule book handy, but it sounds like a violation that should have awarded your runner 2nd base. My bigger point is that at 10U you'll probably have plenty of goofy things happen due to mistakes and incompetence that will boggle your mind. The good news is that often times you and your team can learn something from it, and these moments won't matter in the long run. They'll just be "remember when..." stories.
Thanks, Northball! I give umpires the benefit of the doubt 99% of the time. I understand they can’t see everything and they’re human. I’ve called ball before, so I get it.

There have definitely been some learning opportunities thus far in 10U. The game gets a whole lot more complex for a bunch of eight year olds making the jump to kid pitch.

Jun 18, 2023
roughly, assuming she did return and touch first before preceding (as an aside, I despise the lookback thing and I have not been convinced it should exist at all) I think the call itself, in a vacuum, is probably correct.

Sounds like both the umps and the coach assumed it was a simple single, and even though they should've called the ball dead, especially if they did or were about to grant time, they didn't. They could've ruled that way "ball is dead on the time out/coach on the field" That probably would've been the fairest thing to do.

Sep 15, 2023
roughly, assuming she did return and touch first before preceding (as an aside, I despise the lookback thing and I have not been convinced it should exist at all) I think the call itself, in a vacuum, is probably correct.

Sounds like both the umps and the coach assumed it was a simple single, and even though they should've called the ball dead, especially if they did or were about to grant time, they didn't. They could've ruled that way "ball is dead on the time out/coach on the field" That probably would've been the fairest thing to do.
I definitely could understand that, but she never returned to first, she was on her way to second and when the opposing coach yelled time, she stopped and looked around because she thought it was the ump. All the kids stopped (including his players), then resumed play.

Jul 27, 2021
Bummer M12.

Started with simple mistake by the other coach and cascaded to even bigger screw ups by 2 umps. The Umps then made stuff up then placed the blame on an 8 yo girl. WTF

Once the coach went on the field and called time....play stopped. I bet play never resumed while the "situation" was resolved. Team that caused the problem gets the penalty.

While there is a timeout....the game isn't being played. No pitching, no base-running, no outs, no LBR, etc.

"Hesitating" ...... WTF.

Welcome to youth sports were the authorities can't accept their mistakes and fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles