Umpire directions for my DS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Saturday was our first Pony game and my DS started at catcher. After first half of inning base ump walks in and proceeds to tell me all DS is doing wrong behind the plate.

He shouldn't be keeping his hand behind his mitt like that. (Runner on first) Son had his hand behind mitt, closed fist, moving to his chest when receiving the pitch) He should be laying it behind his thigh.

He shouldn't be up so high in his stance, not a very good position to catch from (runners on base)

He knows to wait till the pitcher is on the rubber and looking at him to give signals? Uhhh yes he does.

It was at this point that I politely told the ump that everything was fine and that is the way I am coaching him to recieve the ball.

On another note, plate ump complimented DS on his glove positioning when receiving pitches.

Gotta take the good with the bad.

Anyone else run into the instructor ump?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sure and as long as them talk to the coaches or parents and not the player I am always happy to listen to them and appreciate their interest.

(I think it was the year before last but DD was getting her picture taken in a batting stance, the photographer was trying to correct her stance. Everyone is a coach. :))

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Anyone else run into the instructor ump?

Very timely post. Yesterday, DS (9yo) was catching and the teenage plate ump made several comments to him like "if you would have caught that pitch, I would have called it a strike" and my favorite when a ball was in the dirt and went to the backstop "you need to block that ball" as if he was intentionally trying to miss it? It took all of my strength not to confront this umpire. Our head coach said not to say anything during the game or he will retaliate against our team, blah, blah, blah (apparently this umpire has had several complaints against him). I told my son to tell the umpire next time he coaches him to say "I will leave the instruction up to my coaches". I normally wouldn't have my kid talk this way to the umpire but he said things over multiple innings and it was upsetting enough to my DS to mention it to me. I may have to file a formal grievance with the UIC for the league if it ever happens again. Umpires, please leave the coaching of players to the HC and his/her assistants.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD has told me of a few times where she has been coached by umps, but nothing related to her mechanics. The latest was encouraging her to pick off a runner at 1B. While at bat, my DD heard the same ump telling the other team's catcher not to throw.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
DD frequently has a running dialogue with blue throughout the game. It can be a boring job and they talk like co-workers. At her age and experience, the coaching wouldn't bother her much, but it's not cool to throw that at a kid just putting stuff together. The last thing they need is more to think about.

Jul 10, 2012
I just tell them their #1 job is to protect me and not let me get hit. I could care less about anything thing else they do.

Nov 29, 2009
I just tell them their #1 job is to protect me and not let me get hit. I could care less about anything thing else they do.

That's one of the lines I'll use with my catchers if they are doing a poor job blocking pitches. I will tell them the umpire is not there to be your backstop. Usually gets a smile from the plate ump.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
DD frequently has a running dialogue with blue throughout the game. It can be a boring job and they talk like co-workers. At her age and experience, the coaching wouldn't bother her much, but it's not cool to throw that at a kid just putting stuff together. The last thing they need is more to think about.

That is the cool part, my kids always talk to the plate ump, they like the interaction with blue. I was just puzzled that the base ump made it a point to come in to tell us what DS was doing "incorrectly".

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I absolutely HATE when an umpire tries to "coach" the players. We are specifically told to NOT do that!

Players play, coaches coach, spectators spectate, and umpires umpire. When all parties stick to their respective roles things just seem to go so much smoother.

May 16, 2014
My 9 YO DD had to deal with an ump constantly warning her she was getting too close to the batter. There were no interference calls all game or for the tournament. I've been working with DD all spring to be closer because she was too far back. Our pitcher is not a fireballer, so if her catcher is not as close as possible, there are more pitches going to the backstop. I'll have to see if the ump's coaching has a lasting effect and we have to start the process of keeping her close over again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand