Training Aid Causing Issues?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2012
Took dd to straightleg this weekend and he used the 8 oz weight on her for the first time. She was able to feel her hands cast out. Once he had her bring hands in a little she said they did not fly out and she hit ball harder. Thanks straightleg for all the help with these girls.

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone else use a TCB ball or a heavy hitting ball and experience this lack of follow through?

One of the things I really like about TCB balls is that a girl can't get away with a lack of follow through. How heavy is this ball you're using? It's the smaller TCBs that I think are great, not the heavier Atomic ones. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you might try mixing things up and having her use a light bat and throwing her light-weight balls like foam balls or wiffles and ask her to swing as hard and fast as she can.

Jul 17, 2012
One of the things I really like about TCB balls is that a girl can't get away with a lack of follow through. How heavy is this ball you're using? It's the smaller TCBs that I think are great, not the heavier Atomic ones. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but you might try mixing things up and having her use a light bat and throwing her light-weight balls like foam balls or wiffles and ask her to swing as hard and fast as she can.
It's not actually a TCB ball. It's a little bigger than a 12" softball, and weighs 17 oz.

We do use a light bat as well, Lightning stick. I have her use it for soft toss with wiffle balls. Her goal with that is to swing as hard as she absolutely can while maintaining a decent swing. It gets a little wild when she really goes for it, but I think it's helped her bat speed quite a bit. I got the Heavy bat, Light bat, Game bat routine from a post on here last year. We do it to start every hitting pratice.

Dec 11, 2010
I must have pitched 17 million tcb's the last few years. 3 rec teams, 3 travel teams and every team hit the snot out of the ball most days. I have seen some girls start slowing or stopping their swing when they hit the tcb balls when they hit too many and or too many in a row. Easy solution is use mostly tcb hole balls and mix in a heavy one every 5 or so. You can get good at surprising them if they are not watching the balls very closely. (Watching the ball closely sounds like a good thing, doesn't it). The other benefit is the speed is always varying slightly so they have to adjust. Tcb's are among the best money I have spent on sb, but just like anything else, too much of any one thing can be bad.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you read the directions they state do not hit more than 10 in a row of the weighted balls. What we normally do is mix in regular softballs with the weighted balls. We only use the baseball size . The heavier one as stated above is too heavy for young kids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06