Training Aid Causing Issues?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Any video
I am more of a fan of weight in the handle

SL

I know there's a variety of these types of aids, ranging from weighted gloves to handle- or knob-weighted bats. I tried one of the knob-weighted bats last weekend - the 50 oz HeavyBat (see link: HEAVYSWING™ | The Original Handle-Weighted Training Bat) and would NOT recommend it. I liked the focus it put on a tight hand path and particularly the throwing the barrel feel it gave, but felt quite a bit of strain in my lead hand wrist when stopping the swing at the end of the follow through. Apparently the bat comes in lighter weights but I'd want to try them first before letting my DD or other girls use it for fear of possible injury. Just my experience, YMMV

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I know there's a variety of these types of aids, ranging from weighted gloves to handle- or knob-weighted bats. I tried one of the knob-weighted bats last weekend - the 50 oz HeavyBat (see link: HEAVYSWING™ | The Original Handle-Weighted Training Bat) and would NOT recommend it. I liked the focus it put on a tight hand path and particularly the throwing the barrel feel it gave, but felt quite a bit of strain in my lead hand wrist when stopping the swing at the end of the follow through. Apparently the bat comes in lighter weights but I'd want to try them first before letting my DD or other girls use it for fear of possible injury. Just my experience, YMMV

Just to be clear I add 8 oz and at the most 12 oz to the handle Not 50 oz

SL

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
What does extra knob weight help with in training?

All I can picture in my head is that the weight is ahead of the hands so you are pushing the extra weight. Also it would act as a counter weight, doing some of the work of turning and throwing the barrel for you.

What am I missing?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

All I can picture in my head is that the weight is ahead of the hands so you are pushing the extra weight. Also it would act as a counter weight, doing some of the work of turning and throwing the barrel for you.

What am I missing?

Allot of girls fly the hands past the rear hip in the swing. It slows down the upper half some as we do a step down weight drill.
The hips start to work earlier.
If you cast out, the extra weight makes you feel it easier.
I have had girls tell me, Oh I felt my hands leave my body that time. Helps with a better hand path

Has a few benefits I see when working with the girls. I also dont do any more than 10 reps in each step down drill.
Have not found a negative to it.

SL

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Allot of girls fly the hands past the rear hip in the swing. It slows down the upper half some as we do a step down weight drill.
The hips start to work earlier.
If you cast out, the extra weight makes you feel it easier.

Has a few benefits I see when working with the girls. I also dont do any more than 10 reps in each step down drill.
Have not found a negative to it.

SL

Ok. I had strength building stuck my head.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

What am I missing?

From the HEAVYSWING website
"Our Concept

HeavySwing Baseball is excited to introduce a revolutionary new concept and product lineup that is already changing the way players at all levels practice, train and prepare for every game at-bat.

Our innovative line of training bats give players of all ages a safe, mechanically sound way to warm up and train with weighted bats without affecting their natural swing. Used as an integrated system, they build strength, improve bat speed and increase core power.

Traditional barrel-weighted products (like donuts and sleeves) can corrupt a player’s swing by pulling their arms away from their body to create a negative “casting effect.” Even worse, they can cause strain or even injury to the player’s arms, hands, wrists and elbows.

With the HeavySwing line, the proprietary handle-weighted design promotes the proper swing plane and solid rotational mechanics, keeping the hitter’s hands “inside the ball” to help create a smooth, powerful and natural swing.

Benefits

The HeavySwing System delivers a number of major benefits for baseball players at all levels:
1. Provides players with a smart, safe and mechanically sound way to recreate their natural swing while increasing overall strength and bat speed

2. Integrated system that allows players to take a proper weighted swing in the batting cage, in warm-up, and during the game

3. Promotes solid rotational mechanics by keeping the hitter’s hands “inside the ball”

4. Avoids potential strain and injury from using barrel-weighted training products"

Testimonials from McGwire, Jonny Gomes, Michael Morse etc, but consider me dubious. Stopping that 50 oz bat felt like trying to stop a freight train. And they make a 70 oz. version!

Jul 17, 2012
Tonight we tried something different. She often swings my old 28 oz. slowpitch bat for tee work to try and strengthen her swing muscles and increase bat speed (her game bat is 18.5). I had her try the heavy bat when hitting with the heavy ball to see if the heavy bat would take away the "shock" of a light bat striking a heavy ball. It seemed to work well. The weight of the bat and it's extra hitting power allowed her to follow through the impact. I notice on the 3rd or 4th swing that she was no longer "bracing" for impact, but rather swinging through the ball.

I am going to look into these knob weights. It's an interesting concept.

stv

May 12, 2010

Also it would act as a counter weight, doing some of the work of turning and throwing the barrel for you.

Would that be a good explanation of Turning the Barrel Which I understand better as throwing the barrel.
Are they the same thing?
And yes you can feel that bat head whip thru the zone. IS that the same as Turning Throwing the barrel?

Back to TCB balls. Whats the opinion of using 2 piece composite bats with them. I personally dont like it.

I think TCB balls (the regular squishy ones) are just fine and a great aid. I don't like the idea of swinging against a heavy ball...other posters have gone into it so I don't need to pile on but I just don't see the benefit vs negative training and possible injury.

You mentioned your DD uses a 18.5 oz bat, I am assuming 10U...if so this thread makes a little more sense in since at that age they probably are not strong enough to power through the ball without noticing a deceleration at and after contact which is fine, but you and your coach are correct in that even after contact and slowing down she still needs to follow through completely.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Would that be a good explanation of Turning the Barrel Which I understand better as throwing the barrel.
Are they the same thing?
And yes you can feel that bat head whip thru the zone. IS that the same as Turning Throwing the barrel?

Back to TCB balls. Whats the opinion of using 2 piece composite bats with them. I personally dont like it.

I can describe what I do. Turning the barrel, to me, is torquing, or turning force placed on the handle of the bat at the very beginning of the swing, right after loading the hands and top end. You see the top of the barrel with a lot of pros 1st start coming toward the pitcher while loading, then very quickly speed first back then around...very fast...very quick to the zone...before much or any forward movement. Some do not believe a high level hitter is applying this force to the bat.

I believe the turn changes into a throw of the barrel through the ball...I believe it is one move. For me the phrase "turn then throw" doesn't describe it well. I like to use the word "whip" it, to me, describe the action as one whipping motion.

To be perfectly honest, I use the phrase "throw the barrel" a lot here, because I do believe it is a fair description, and it doesn't seem to create controversy. We could be in a thread about shoe laces, and someone says "turn the barrel"...2/3 of the time that will change the thread into a 10 page debate.
Hope that helps you decide for yourself if high level hitters are turning the barrel.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06