Training Aid Causing Issues?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
DD had her first hitting practice for the tournament team she's playing on. None of the coaches know her outside the fact that the Head Coach's dd and my dd go to the same pitching coach. They were hitting in the cage this week, and I didn't see it as it's in a small space off the main practice area. After practice the second coach complimented me on her swing. Said she was hitting the ball hard... but he also said she could be even better, but she was slowing her swing after contact and not following through. I also noticed this a week or so ago. We primarilly spend our time practicing her pitching. We hit 1 or 2 times a week. I added a heavy ball to the soft toss, similar to the TCB balls, to strengthen her drive. I fear it's causing her to learn to stop her swing at contact since right now she not strong enough to maintain her swing speed through the heavy ball. This tournamnet came as a surprice. I figured we had until March to sort hings out. Could the heavy ball be too much resistance right now, causing her to learn stop her follow through? During practice she doesn't yet have the strength to drive through that ball full speed, so there is a noticable slow down in velocity at contact. but I also notice she's getting stronger every week in how hard she drives through that ball. Anyone else use a TCB ball or a heavy hitting ball and experience this lack of follow through? What did you do to work through it?

Oct 10, 2011
Curious to know how heavy the ball is also. TCB has different sizes of balls.
I think the Whiphit bat works good for follow through.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
DD had her first hitting practice for the tournament team she's playing on. None of the coaches know her outside the fact that the Head Coach's dd and my dd go to the same pitching coach. They were hitting in the cage this week, and I didn't see it as it's in a small space off the main practice area. After practice the second coach complimented me on her swing. Said she was hitting the ball hard... but he also said she could be even better, but she was slowing her swing after contact and not following through. I also noticed this a week or so ago. We primarilly spend our time practicing her pitching. We hit 1 or 2 times a week. I added a heavy ball to the soft toss, similar to the TCB balls, to strengthen her drive. I fear it's causing her to learn to stop her swing at contact since right now she not strong enough to maintain her swing speed through the heavy ball. This tournamnet came as a surprice. I figured we had until March to sort hings out. Could the heavy ball be too much resistance right now, causing her to learn stop her follow through? During practice she doesn't yet have the strength to drive through that ball full speed, so there is a noticable slow down in velocity at contact. but I also notice she's getting stronger every week in how hard she drives through that ball. Anyone else use a TCB ball or a heavy hitting ball and experience this lack of follow through? What did you do to work through it?

This is why I do not like hitting heavy balls. Especially for kids, anyone not a full grown person. She is use to bracing for contact. This bracing slows the bat. Some will say that the bat slowing after contact doesn't matter but I say that is a sign of the bat slowing prior to contact.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think for most young players the bat bounces backwards at contact. JMO but I think they need to get stronger and swing bigger bats before the bounce disappears. I do not think it in the TCB type balls teaching her that habit.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
As I read your post, I see that you say similar to a TCB ball. So, I don't know about that - but a TCB ball helps the follow through, not diminishes it. I am not even sure that not following through is a problem, if she is young.

Oct 25, 2009
Overswinging will help with poor follow through. Overswinging should be practiced a fair amount of time, anyway.

When you have the batter overswing, she is swinging much harder/faster than she thinks she can. The overswing will take precedence over fundamentals in this drill. Practice it off of a tee, also with front toss; never side toss.

If they are swinging fast enough, follow through should not be an issue with a swing that's even close to fundamentally correct. Practice overswinging often for its other benefits, also.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I had similar issues with the girls "muscling up" or bracing for impact with the heavy tcb balls... to counter this, I started alternating between the heavy and the wiffle tcb during practice and pregame warm up soft and front toss, ... it has worked well for us. Hope it helps you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06