throwing speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
If someone asked you to make your hardest throw so they could time it, what foot work would you use? A crow-hop, step behind, etc... I was just curious because when watching tryouts, I see girls just taking one step, some with a shuffle, etc.. What generates the most power?

Not sure it would matter too much you would just want to do something to get your momentum going, not too much like an outfield sprint and crow hop because your mechanics would probably start to break down, personally I would probably do something more like an infield throw a small shuffle step, plant and throw

Dec 16, 2012
If you mean overhand throw I would say a crow hop for sure. But, I was a college baseball outfielder So I may be a bit biased.

Apr 13, 2013
If someone asked you to make your hardest throw so they could time it, what foot work would you use? A crow-hop, step behind, etc... I was just curious because when watching tryouts, I see girls just taking one step, some with a shuffle, etc.. What generates the most power?

I did this on the Disney pier and DD still laughs at me because I was rubbing my arm for a week, to be young again. I did a crow hop.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would imagine that stepping back off the rubber with your stride leg and getting your momentum going forward like a "walk through" would be the easiest adjustment a pitcher could do to increase her speed without messing up her timing. "Crow hopping" does not increase your pitch speed, the pitcher just pushes off from closer than 43 ft.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Crow Hop or Shuffle Step Behind would work, depending on the athlete's timing on each. Any style throw that builds momentum before release will result in an increased velocity. Some athlete's have a difficult time crow hopping before release because their sequence becomes affected. The step behind may be easier to keep the sequence in tact and their patterns won't breakdown as much.

Oct 10, 2011
Crow Hop or Shuffle Step Behind would work, depending on the athlete's timing on each. Any style throw that builds momentum before release will result in an increased velocity. Some athlete's have a difficult time crow hopping before release because their sequence becomes affected. The step behind may be easier to keep the sequence in tact and their patterns won't breakdown as much.

I'll have her try both of those when her ankle is healed. She used to be pretty good at the crow hop, but hasn't been in the outfield for awhile.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
iMlearning,

I have an article coming out on Outfield Footwork leading up to crow hop, which includes the proper arm pattern that will be synced up with this footwork. I'll post next week when it's completed. There will be some really great video embedded in there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red