Technique question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
first of all she is pretty good. The over the head thing certainly won't kill her and a lot of pitchers do it, from copying Osterman I suspect. The same with the swing back. theoretically it doesn't make your arm go any faster once you reverse directions but most girls find it helps build the momentum for being explosive. Hillhouse doesn't swing back but he does cradle back.

Big issue is making sure she keep her hips open until release, like sluggers said. Focus on keeping those hips open not worrying about slamming that foot down. Some pitchers can get away with it on a fastball release but it will kill you on any other pitch. just let the forward momentum carry the hip/ body to a fielding position.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hi Bill. The motions she is using is referred to as the 'Double Pump' wind up, sometimes referred to as the 1 1/2 wind up.

Bringing the ball up in front is somewhat common. However, bringing the ball up to the point it is directly over your head and back farther, thats not just rough on the arms it is also illegal, but doubt that would be enforced at the 10u level.. The rules delineate the difference of 'Front' and 'Rear'. You are allowed to seperate the hands and then drop the ball 'Down and to the rear' before starting your forward motion. There is no allowance for the pitcher to keep her hands together, raise them and go from the front to the rear before starting the forward motion. It is a part of her 'Pre-motions' but the 'bringing the hands together' must be done in front of the pitcher. If the hands are brought up and back so far as 12:00 or beyond, that is bringuing the hands from the front to the rear.

She is starting off with her feet spread very wide. The wider they are apart, the more she will be pushing off towards the left instead of straight forward, that is why she 'Falls off' to the right. That 'Zig-Zag motion is a speed killer. Have her try starting off with her feet no more than a shoe width apart and that should eliminate the side-to-side part of the motion.

She is also greatly exagerrating the motion when she brings the ball back, enough it is creating a big forward lean before she starts her forward motion. Have her try only bringing the ball back about 1/3 as far as she does now. The farther she leans forward at that point, the more strain that is put on the lower back, lumbar spine.

It also appeared that her release point was way different for the two pitches. She appears somewhat tall for 10-years-old and I assume probably fairly long fingers too. Have her stop her hand just in front of the hip. AND have her release the ball witjh the palm up and with her making the 'Peace' aign with her indezand middle finger, thumb extanded to the side. When she stops her hand make sure the those fingers are pointing straight at the catcher's glove. Her hand will be down by her hip but make sure those fingers are pointing straight at the catcher.

Have her start with the pivot foot at a 45 degree angle to the rubber. That will ensure she opens the hips at leat somewhat when she pushes forward.

Start with those and she will have better balance, accuracy and speed.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2011
Thanks for all the pointers Hal. She has her feet that far apart because her PC wants her to have better balance. I do understand what you are saying and it does make perfect sense. Yes, she is tall for her age. She's only 8 yrs old and still playing mostly coach-pitch 8U right now. Her team is very REC level. I plan to have her on a more competitive team this fall and next season.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Thanks for all the pointers Hal. She has her feet that far apart because her PC wants her to have better balance. I do understand what you are saying and it does make perfect sense. Yes, she is tall for her age. She's only 8 yrs old and still playing mostly coach-pitch 8U right now. Her team is very REC level. I plan to have her on a more competitive team this fall and next season.

When you are standing still, it is best to have your feet around shoulder width apart for good balance. However, for pushing forward, that same foot position DOES NOT promote good balance.

Ever notice how some Olympic pitchers will start off with their feet spread wide. Then as they bring their hands together, you see that pivot foot slide across the rubber to where the feet are around a shoe width apart? Thats why they do it. If the feet are spread apart, you dont push in a straight line.

Apr 1, 2011
When you are standing still, it is best to have your feet around shoulder width apart for good balance. However, for pushing forward, that same foot position DOES NOT promote good balance.

Ever notice how some Olympic pitchers will start off with their feet spread wide. Then as they bring their hands together, you see that pivot foot slide across the rubber to where the feet are around a shoe width apart? Thats why they do it. If the feet are spread apart, you dont push in a straight line.

Yes, I have noticed that before and never knew why they were doing it. Her PC wants her to have good balance before starting her pitch, but if she doesn't shift her foot before her pitch and it's costing her speed and accuracy, then I need to change it. Her PC was a self-described 'junk-ball' pitcher. My DD has speed for her age and I want to keep with that speed and not develop form that will take that away.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
A 'Junk Baller' is a term used to describe any pitcher that uses alot of off speed and slow pitches during a game. It is also used to describe a pitcher that does not possess average ball speed, slower than average pitcher.

When I pitched, I could use very overpowering ball speed. I also had three other speeds I could deliver the ball at. I was also called a 'Junk Baller', and I was a National Champion pitcher. I could also throw 5 games in a day and not get injured. It's the everything you got and the kitchen sink too fast pitches that will tire you out and cause injury. Mix in alot of off-speed and slow stuff, you can throw all day long.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
She's pitching from 30 feet? Yikes. I am thinking that whomever made up that rule, is thinking that little girls are just tossing the ball across the plate. I have heard of 32 feet, but here it is 35 feet.

Please teach her not to throw down the middle of the plate. Set your glove up inside and outside, and insist that her catcher does, too.
We have a couple 8U girls that can really throw it like this girl. Last year there was a pitcher who threw 500 pitches a day and threw as hard or harder than this promising pitcher in the video.

And no it's not a pretty sight when a 7 yr old gets drilled from 30' by a ball moving like that

Oct 22, 2009
A 'Junk Baller' is a term used to describe any pitcher that uses alot of off speed and slow pitches during a game. It is also used to describe a pitcher that does not possess average ball speed, slower than average pitcher.

When I pitched, I could use very overpowering ball speed. I also had three other speeds I could deliver the ball at. I was also called a 'Junk Baller', and I was a National Champion pitcher. I could also throw 5 games in a day and not get injured. It's the everything you got and the kitchen sink too fast pitches that will tire you out and cause injury. Mix in alot of off-speed and slow stuff, you can throw all day long.

My DD was called a -junk pitcher- her speed was above average, and pretty much lived off her rise ball, but because that pitch was a "breaking pitch" and she threw about 1/3 of all her pitches as off speed, she was a junker.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd