Teaching Beginner Hitting in 8u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I hope you have multiple tees and a long net to hit into, like the side of a batting cage. 15 minutes is not long when everyone is waiting for their chance at one tee.

Jul 31, 2019
Almost everything you will read, watch or hear about hitting is wrong.

1. Stride on every. single. pitch(start when the pitcher releases the ball). Randomly hold a ball and see if they moved. This is the #1 flaw at this age. Vigorously enforce this.

2. Hit the ball over the pitcher's head, or over the L screen - not into it, or on the ground in the infield. Zero degree launch angle is a path to mediocrity.

3. Pull the elbow back like a bow as you stride, and land on a very bent knee with a flat rear forearm. (most kids have already dropped their back elbow at toe touch) (this will fix some bat drag, and some lunging)

3. Do NOT use door knocking knuckles. Do NOT squish the bug. Do not have a loose top hand - yes you want a death grip on it. Don't choke up - most kids need bat length because they bat drag.
Good stuff in general, but #4 threw me a bit. I’m assuming when you sa no knocking knuckles, you mean as a grip, as you need to be palm up, palm down at contact. The one that threw me is death gripping the top hand. For me, I teach it loose, to allow the barrel to tip and and hands to slot.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Good stuff in general,

1. but #4 threw me a bit. I’m assuming when you sa no knocking knuckles, you mean as a grip, as you need to be palm up, palm down at contact.

2. The one that threw me is death gripping the top hand. For me, I teach it loose, to allow the barrel to tip and and hands to slot.

1. Yes, initial grip

2. Try it both ways as a dry drill from toe touch to hip slot. See which version goes down in unison, and which one has slack. You are trying to take advantage of that long lever (ends in the back elbow) as it goes from flat to vertical. (and you want to reverse the hands as quickly as possible)

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023
A firm grip that allows wrist mobility. No choking the bat. On that note make sure they’re at the right length if they do need to choke up. As well as high tee ask for line drives
This is probably my most effective quick que that I give a hitter that is having trouble in the box. "Squeeze the handle hard" tightens up the swing, the body, and resolves a lot of problems unintentionally. A lot of times there are still a ton of things to work on when you get to practice but a weak wrist and grip is the very first thing I try to correct.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I taught my 8 yr old to hit out of a 45

Haley is off to a great start. Notice how her hands stay close to her shoulder. That puts her way ahead of the average 8 year old. Hitting out of the neck slot or off the deltoid will start them on the path to a good tight short swing. Most 8 year old left to their own way of swinging will have long armsy swings.
The idea of just let them swing or throw the way they want because they are only 8 years old and we want to keep it fun is a flawed idea. Fixing ingrained poor throwing or hitting mechanics when they are 12 years old is a tall timely order and not much fun either.

Apr 12, 2019
Almost everything you will read, watch or hear about hitting is wrong.

1. Stride on every. single. pitch(start when the pitcher releases the ball). Randomly hold a ball and see if they moved. This is the #1 flaw at this age. Vigorously enforce this.

2. Hit the ball over the pitcher's head, or over the L screen - not into it, or on the ground in the infield. Zero degree launch angle is a path to mediocrity.

3. Pull the elbow back like a bow as you stride, and land on a very bent knee with a flat rear forearm. (most kids have already dropped their back elbow at toe touch) (this will fix some bat drag, and some lunging)

3. Do NOT use door knocking knuckles. Do NOT squish the bug. Do not have a loose top hand - yes you want a death grip on it. Don't choke up - most kids need bat length because they bat drag.
have fun teaching that to an 8 year old that has never picked up a bat before.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
have fun teaching that to an 8 year old that has never picked up a bat before.
I'm teaching you, not the kid. :) But seriously, YOU can teach/enforce #1, YOU can tell them to try to hit the ball over the L screen, and YOU can tell them not to listen to anyone that wants them to squish the bug or use door knocking knuckles. He/she may not get it right away, but you can lead the way to glory.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I'm teaching you, not the kid. :) But seriously, YOU can teach/enforce #1, YOU can tell them to try to hit the ball over the L screen, and YOU can tell them not to listen to anyone that wants them to squish the bug or use door knocking knuckles. He/she may not get it right away, but you can lead the way to glory.
For this, I suggest taking them to church.:giggle:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles