Teaching Beginner Hitting in 8u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2022
Hello DFP,

Our 8u rec fall practices have just started up, and as all 8u rec leagues go, we will inevitably get girls thst have never played before.

Since our league is coach pitch, I've been tasked to work with the new girls on hitting. My goal is to get those girls to learn to be able to put the ball into play, as striking out really sucks for the girls at this age.

I have about 15 minutes of individual instruction per practice to work with each of these newer girls off a tee.

Looking for some advice on what to focus on to get them able to start making contact off of coach pitch.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Jun 18, 2023
There are essentially two parts, making sure they have a reasonably 'normal' swing, and making sure they're tracking the ball.

So, not gripping the bat too hard, hands/knuckles in the right position, make sure they're stacking/twisting/loading back a little, then turning the hips and bringing the hands through to in front of the ball.

This last bit is important imo, I've found a lot of kids are just wildly swinging as the ball gets close, but adjusting the hands up and down to where the ball is coming in is obvious vital otherwise you'll be throwing 40 pitches per batter trying to get it into their "spot". And it's hard to do that off a tee imo. Certainly first time swinging a bat don't over complicate it, but I'd quickly move toward throwing them pitches. They need that tactile feedback of what pitches, even coach lobs, look like.

Then make sure they're watching the ball out of the hand, and watching it hit their bat in front of the plate.

The two biggest things I've noticed in new players is that they don't bring their bat/body back so they end up chopping at it instead of getting a nice levelish swing, and they have no idea when they're supposed to swing so practically swing the second they see the coach let go of the ball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Teach them how to swing or how to hit slow pitching and perhaps arching too much?

Do we not teach pitching and throwing overhand from day one?

Jul 31, 2019
Teach the kids to hit in the front of the box to minimize the effects of gravity on the pitch and teach them how to bunt for eye hand coordination.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD never played coach pitch but my niece did. Brother said he told them to swing at every pitch. It sounded like it came down to the pitcher more then the batter.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Almost everything you will read, watch or hear about hitting is wrong.

1. Stride on every. single. pitch(start when the pitcher releases the ball). Randomly hold a ball and see if they moved. This is the #1 flaw at this age. Vigorously enforce this.

2. Hit the ball over the pitcher's head, or over the L screen - not into it, or on the ground in the infield. Zero degree launch angle is a path to mediocrity.

3. Pull the elbow back like a bow as you stride, and land on a very bent knee with a flat rear forearm. (most kids have already dropped their back elbow at toe touch) (this will fix some bat drag, and some lunging)

3. Do NOT use door knocking knuckles. Do NOT squish the bug. Do not have a loose top hand - yes you want a death grip on it. Don't choke up - most kids need bat length because they bat drag.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
This comes down to how well the pitcher can hit moving bats. Teach them a proper swing but use the same pitcher so that they(the pitcher) can get used to where the bat will be.

EDIT: Not meant as sarcasm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles