Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
ok, got it. hardcore! haha ;;--)
My job as a parent is to oversee my kid’s development..not be rule police. In that case unless the hitter was Alo, there would always be a better hitter with a legal bat out there that would equally light up my kid..

May 27, 2013
would think it's harder to time up full swings against high velo, would be easier to stick the bat out and slap. who knows, i don't play the game.

Stick the bat out? Wish that was all there was to it! 😏

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022
I'm not a fan of slapping. it's a distortion to the game. I think it should be outlawed, tbh. shorten the box to implement maybe. I also think they should extend the bases to 65 or 70 ft. deepen the outfield fences, especially in CF (more like a baseball field). and move the pitcher's plate back to 46 ft (little league baseball distance). it would be an even more wide open, entertaining game. more balls in play, more time for spin action from the pitcher, more XBHs in the gaps, more excellent infield plays, etc.

while they are doing that, they should re-define and enforce the pitcher crow hopping prohibition. seeing it in every tournament I go to. it's almost always, btw, with the high velocity "young phenom" pitchers - the freshmen throwing 60+. It also seems more prevalent with girls in the "power conferences/towns" around my area - so maybe some of the coaches are teaching it or the girls just pick it up from the older players - or no one interested in telling them it's not right.

it's almost always the same technique, btw - a hop wide to the left (outside of the new chalk lines, which they never enforce either), sometimes drag the back toe, sometimes not, then REPLANT the back foot, and drive forward with the pitch, kind of cross-fire now. it's a clear "two part" motion - (1) leap/replant, then (2) accelerate/throw.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not a fan of slapping. it's a distortion to the game. I think it should be outlawed, tbh. shorten the box to implement maybe. I also think they should extend the bases to 65 or 70 ft. deepen the outfield fences, especially in CF (more like a baseball field). and move the pitcher's plate back to 46 ft (little league baseball distance). it would be an even more wide open, entertaining game. more balls in play, more time for spin action from the pitcher, more XBHs in the gaps, more excellent infield plays, etc.

while they are doing that, they should re-define and enforce the pitcher crow hopping prohibition. seeing it in every tournament I go to. it's almost always, btw, with the high velocity "young phenom" pitchers - the freshmen throwing 60+. It also seems more prevalent with girls in the "power conferences/towns" around my area - so maybe some of the coaches are teaching it or the girls just pick it up from the older players - or no one interested in telling them it's not right.

it's almost always the same technique, btw - a hop wide to the left (outside of the new chalk lines, which they never enforce either), sometimes drag the back toe, sometimes not, then REPLANT the back foot, and drive forward with the pitch, kind of cross-fire now. it's a clear "two part" motion - (1) leap/replant, then (2) accelerate/throw.
Feel better?

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Should they use a small white ball, and throw overhand, and have runners take leads too?

Serious question / comment though: are you talking about NCAA (that's the only place you should see pitcher's lane chalked out)

Nov 3, 2022
Should they use a small white ball, and throw overhand, and have runners take leads too?

Serious question / comment though: are you talking about NCAA (that's the only place you should see pitcher's lane chalked out)
i like the bigger yellow ball. no on the leads. good point on the chalk lines, i don't see them except ncaa.. is it *not* the rule in high school/travel to have to stay within the pitcher's plate (would have to use judgment)?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles