Crow hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
Why don’t Umps call IP’s on girls that consistently crow hop?
It’s an unfair advantage. When you crow hop & or replant your closer to the plate and velocity increases.
Especially when opposing coaches let the Umps know to look out for the illegal move.
We have a girl in our area and she crow hops and replants every pitch. Her Father/Coach always blames condition of the circle.
My daughter digs a friggin’ trench with her drag foot and peels off a good deal of speed.
How about we all play by the same rules!!!

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Crow hopping is a lot more common than you think. I take a lot of video and when you slow it down it is a lot easier to see. Crow hopping is when, instead of dragging the push off foot, the pitcher does a slight replant and pushes off again. Here is a famous example, watch her back foot.

May 20, 2016
Played a tournament this weekend and pitcher crow hopped every single pitch. Home plate ump called it once in the second inning and the very next pitch she went even higher. Was the most pointless call i've ever seen an ump make. Let alone it wasn't even his call to make. Base ump didn't say anything.

Apr 28, 2019
So
Played a tournament this weekend and pitcher crow hopped every single pitch. Home plate ump called it once in the second inning and the very next pitch she went even higher. Was the most pointless call i've ever seen an ump make. Let alone it wasn't even his call to make. Base ump didn't say anything.
Some girls just take slightly longer to get their drag toe/foot on the ground. Other girls it’s much more obvious because they never really get there drag foot down until they replant.

Feb 26, 2018

We had this same problem this weekend too. Our HC noticed it in warm ups, had a convo with the ump, and it was never called. It was obvious to everyone her back foot was coming completely off the ground

May 17, 2012
Why don’t Umps call IP’s on girls that consistently crow hop?
It’s an unfair advantage. When you crow hop & or replant your closer to the plate and velocity increases.
Especially when opposing coaches let the Umps know to look out for the illegal move.
We have a girl in our area and she crow hops and replants every pitch. Her Father/Coach always blames condition of the circle.
My daughter digs a friggin’ trench with her drag foot and peels off a good deal of speed.
How about we all play by the same rules!!!

Because it isn't a big advantage. Teach your daughter to crow hop and join the party.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101