Pitcher hopping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

RJK

Mar 23, 2022
In my experience, they only call it if there is a signifanct competitive advantage going on with a crowhop. Leaping in my sanction is now legal. My DD used to get called on leaping all the time, but it was usually because of a huge divot infrot of the pitching plate. Unless a pitcher is crow hopping and getting closer to home plate off the 2nd push, they're not going to call it. There's no competitive advantage to it.

Apr 14, 2022
I was at a tourney this weekend. almost all the high velo girls were either hopping or replanting (don't know about the hand separation thing). might be legal, probably, technically, don't know, but seems not right to launch forward (keeping trail foot on the ground or not), replant, regain balance, and then drive forward from there.

but that's the game as it is today, I guess. probably lead to more slapping which I don't think is good for the game.
Was there a huge hole in front of the mound?

Jun 8, 2016
Was there a huge hole in front of the mound?
DD played in a tournament a few weeks ago where they had to play on a “backup field” because of rain. The circle had two pitcher’s plates about a foot apart 😂. After the first game the coach dug up the front one before somebody killed themselves..That place also only had porta potties and horrible lights (as in the ball would go above the lights and you couldn’t see it). Luckily they only played there Friday night..

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
DD played in a tournament a few weeks ago where they had to play on a “backup field” because of rain. The circle had two pitcher’s plates about a foot apart 😂. After the first game the coach dug up the front one before somebody killed themselves..That place also only had porta potties and horrible lights (as in the ball would go above the lights and you couldn’t see it). Luckily they only played there Friday night..
I watch a game that had a LL minor league pitcher's plate at 35 feet, one for majors at 40, and one at 43 for High School. The two short plates were removable, but instead of removing them the brain trust covered them with sand, so they were there, but invisible until someone slipped or tripped over them. Luckily no one got hurt, and I convinced them to remove them and showed them how the plugs worked before the second game, but WTF?

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Yeah agree seems like it is everywhere and never called. But did see a few illegal pitches called this weekend for not taking enough time doing the simulated signal from the rubber:rolleyes: and another for back foot moving too much prior to push forward.

So basically they enforce the things that are easy and gain no advantage, but then ignore something that creates an advantage.
I think "quick pitching" the batter is a way bigger advantage that leaping. It's also much easier to detect.

Nov 3, 2022
Curious to know why this would lead to more slapping and why more slapping wouldn’t be good for the game? It takes a lot of practice and reps to be able to place a hit pitch exactly where you want it while in motion. If anything, I think higher velocity makes it more difficult to control the ball coming off the bat. Not easy for new slappers.
would think it's harder to time up full swings against high velo, would be easier to stick the bat out and slap. who knows, i don't play the game.

Nov 3, 2022
If you update this thread every time you see a pitcher commit the heinous crime of leaping, this is going to be a long thread.

My kid is a position player. If she doesn’t hit then she needs to get better..pitcher leaping or not.
if your daughter used an illegally hot bat, should the pitcher just have to get better?

Jun 8, 2016
if your daughter used an illegally hot bat, should the pitcher just have to get better?
If there was no injury concern and my kid pitched against illegal bats and was getting hit around I would tell her to get better yes. You obviously don’t know me very well..

Nov 3, 2022
If there was no injury concern and my kid pitched against illegal bats and was getting hit around I would tell her to get better yes. You obviously don’t know me very well..
ok, got it. hardcore! haha ;;--)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00