Opposite or same direction?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Thanks FFS - I learned the hard way you should use wood - a broom handle would be perfect...not only will the pvc break if they hit the tee - there is too much flex in the pvc to give an accurate feel...

Jeff Kneiert

Miltonball
May 3, 2010
MTS, could you demonstrate the towel drill? Also did you do a lot of throwing bats and medicine balls with her? I see much of my daughter's swing in the original video. Finally, what do you mean you started with her front arm on her chest, why?

Jeff Kneiert

Miltonball
May 3, 2010
Hopefully this will help explain the applied hand pressure I am talking about. The amount of force applied by each hand does flucuate and is a learned skill. Remember this is a 2D demo.

Cabreraforce.gif
MTS, I find this information excellent, but am still having trouble seeing the forces and thinking of how I can explain it to my daughter. Is it possible for you to make a video where we can see your hands and you can tell us where the forces are applied?

R

RayR

Jeff,

Grab a bat and try and pull the bat apart at the point between your hands. These are the hand pressures I am talking about. When you load back like Cabrera does - do it using hand pressure. Which hand exerts more force? And does the barrel flop around or is it moving in a tight arc. Now - move your hands like you are going to swing. Which hand exerts more force now? BUT - in both cases the other hand is still applying pressure in the opposite direction.

The way I explain it is to put the bat in their hands and I grab their hands with mine and pull their hands in the direction they need to go. The biggest hurdle to overcome is that they give up all top hand pressure once they start swinging. Or they give up pressure too soon in the swing and their hands get away from them.

The reason the barrel gets turned is that as the handle gets turned the opposite hand pressures "torque" the whole bat. Meaning as the handle and barrel arc - the opposite hand pressures add to the speed in which both the handle and the barrel turn. I was showing that in the sledge demo.

It is a learned skill. You have to play around with it. Hope this helps.

MTS, I find this information excellent, but am still having trouble seeing the forces and thinking of how I can explain it to my daughter. Is it possible for you to make a video where we can see your hands and you can tell us where the forces are applied?

Oct 12, 2009
Grab a bat and try and pull the bat apart at the point between your hands. These are the hand pressures I am talking about. When you load back like Cabrera does - do it using hand pressure. Which hand exerts more force? And does the barrel flop around or is it moving in a tight arc. Now - move your hands like you are going to swing. Which hand exerts more force now? BUT - in both cases the other hand is still applying pressure in the opposite direction.

The way I explain it is to put the bat in their hands and I grab their hands with mine and pull their hands in the direction they need to go. The biggest hurdle to overcome is that they give up all top hand pressure once they start swinging. Or they give up pressure too soon in the swing and their hands get away from them.

The reason the barrel gets turned is that as the handle gets turned the opposite hand pressures "torque" the whole bat. Meaning as the handle and barrel arc - the opposite hand pressures add to the speed in which both the handle and the barrel turn. I was showing that in the sledge demo.

It is a learned skill. You have to play around with it. Hope this helps.

There's no torque if both hands are pulling in opposite directions along the length of the barrel.

What this will tend to do is deactivate the hands, not activate them.

Also, what your sledge demo showed was the the head of the sledge moves faster if you reduce the radius of the arc in which the hands are traveling (aka the Whip effect due to the Curved Hand Path.)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Perhaps this GIF of Giles may help.

I added a 'red' dot between the hands. Notice that the midpoint between the two hands is remaining relatively stationary ... yet the barrel moves in it's rearward arc.

2jfn1xt.gif

R

RayR

Yup FFS- that's a good look. It looks like the top hand is pulling back to the catcher (perpendicular to the length of the bat). But, IMO the hands are just pulling apart as the hands travel forward.

BTW - the side views get deceiving especially when they are elevated or from the rear.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yup FFS- that's a good look. It looks like the top hand is pulling back to the catcher (perpendicular to the length of the bat). But, IMO the hands are just pulling apart as the hands travel forward.

BTW - the side views get deceiving especially when they are elevated or from the rear.

You got me to chuckle with your clarification of hand forces being perpendicular to the length of the barrel ....... :)

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I must admit that I never thought of applying a force that would pull the hands apart. Off the top of my head it makes no sense and I have never heard of it in golf either. But I will head to the basement after dinner with my heavy hitting bag, tee and net and swing away. I don't see what the purpose is but maybe after trying to swing that way it will become clear.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG