Notable changes over 20-minutes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
I don't think I've explained myself well, lol. I read W=w's comments as well and he referenced "Hand pulling..." I'm not referring taking the handle/knob/hands on a straight line back towards catcher. I'm talking about retracting your scap, by doing this your hands will work their way in the direction of going behind the shoulder or back... but you don't want to over bake that movement either. Now is this movement an action or reaction to something else?

May 12, 2016
giphy.gif

Is Sosa loading the scap in this clip?

Yes initially he is loading the scap ever so slightly, and then he looks like he's really loading it up, but that is reaction of the torso functioning properly. The tension cause his scap to "fold" behind his back in a downward motion, it does not get unloaded, but succumbs to the tension of larger muscles. So I believe there is an initial subtle scap load

Initial subtle loading of scap
Capture.2PNG.jpg

Scap succumbing to pressure of other larger muscles
Capture.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Some guys actively move their hands back more than others. The ones that do often use it as part of their gather/timing mechanism. The scap pinch/action is more about your back then your hands ..try to elbow somebody behind you. Just walking away from your hands won't get the scap/upper back engaged.

Khris Davis is a good example of moving your hands back in your gather..Lindor too.

I will agree that that it all has to be a continuous action/reaction regardless. You don't want "pauses" in swings..

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Advice: learn how to SEQUENCE a hitter in BALANCE accompanied with a direct HAND PATH and TTB will result. Tangible actions are what matter.
Sequence and balance are important. If you use a direct hand path, which if I understand you is hands to the ball, you will get what you have said you want, out front bat speed, but your won't get early bat speed behind
you e.g. TTB.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Some guys actively move their hands back more than others. The ones that do often use it as part of their gather/timing mechanism. The scap pinch/action is more about your back then your hands ..try to elbow somebody behind you. Just walking away from your hands won't get the scap/upper back engaged.

Khris Davis is a good example of moving your hands back in your gather..Lindor too.

I will agree that that it all has to be a continuous action/reaction regardless. You don't want "pauses" in swings..

https://youtu.be/NyWNCrxVzPU

4:36 mark. ‘Once I get to there, now my rubber band is stretched’... it’s a repositioning of the torso with the slack taken out. You can call it an elbow behind you. But again that is just not a tangible action. It’s a reaction from the torso getting fully loaded and the energy is being transferred to the next link in the chain.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1063303032031535105?s=21

Mass repositioning with the slack taken out. Back scap is reacting to the front oblique stretching.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1069291594736488448?s=21

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes initially he is loading the scap ever so slightly, and then he looks like he's really loading it up, but that is reaction of the torso functioning properly. The tension cause his scap to "fold" behind his back in a downward motion, it does not get unloaded, but succumbs to the tension of larger muscles. So I believe there is an initial subtle scap load

Initial subtle loading of scap
View attachment 13999

Scap succumbing to pressure of other larger muscles
View attachment 14000

First still pic- First part of X being loaded. Second still pic- Second part of the X being loaded. Fully loaded torso. Scap reacts to that. Walla.

May 12, 2016
First still pic- First part of X being loaded. Second still pic- Second part of the X being loaded. Fully loaded torso. Scap reacts to that. Walla.

I like when the sequence is referenced to X, it makes sense. However I believe for instant during the last stage \ of 1st part of X, the scap is activated, it helps resist the next stage / of X, and this helps created maximum stretch. The scap doesn't release during the 2nd stage.. it is a continuous cycle... there's nothing linear about it. IMO

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Sequence and balance are important. If you use a direct hand path, which if I understand you is hands to the ball, you will get what you have said you want, out front bat speed, but your won't get early bat speed behind
you e.g. TTB.

The first initial turn of the barrel is direction, after that its bat speed. I have never seen a player hit the ball behind their midline. So early bat speed doesnt make sense to me.

Hands to the ball is in laymens terms. Its really knob to a perceived release point. As that Bregman video showed. He said ‘ I want to get my hands/knob above and out past the baseball’. To me that is on top and inside the baseball. These guys want to hit the ball almost at extension for max power.

As I’m sure you know. Launch angle is predicated by how deep or out in front you hit the ball. Not by swinging up or down on the ball. So bat speed right before impact more from the midline out to extension is where we would want the most speed to occur correct? Back behind me doesn’t make alot of sense when the optimal contact point is in front. Right?

https://youtu.be/ltuSQ4Hx0Uc

May 12, 2016
The first initial turn of the barrel is direction, after that its bat speed. I have never seen a player hit the ball behind their midline. So early bat speed doesnt make sense to me.

Hands to the ball is in laymens terms. Its really knob to a perceived release point. As that Bregman video showed. He said ‘ I want to get my hands/knob above and out past the baseball’. To me that is on top and inside the baseball. These guys want to hit the ball almost at extension for max power.

As I’m sure you know. Launch angle is predicated by how deep or out in front you hit the ball. Not by swinging up or down on the ball. So bat speed right before impact more from the midline out to extension is where we would want the most speed to occur correct? Back behind me doesn’t make alot of sense when the optimal contact point is in front. Right?

https://youtu.be/ltuSQ4Hx0Uc

I agree with this completely... some of the longest home runs occur here... I never minded my DD's coaches saying "let the ball get deeper" when she was out in front, but "let the ball get DEEP" always made me cringe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd