Notable changes over 20-minutes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Thanks, every reaction needs an action. What I see as an action most certainly could be a reaction. I'm not an expert that's for sure. In this case I would like to know what action causes the scap to retract/pinch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I guess my eyes aren't so keen, I see the scap being intentionally brought into play in this swing. I see it working in conjunction with other muscles in the torso preventing the upper body from leaking forward until "go time". I don't see the scap as a reaction in this swing, I see it as an active player.

I'm not saying you are wrong W=w, it's just simply what my eyes see.... and would love to hear your thoughts on what makes the scap work it's way back like we see in that swing

I don’t know all of the anatomical mumbo jumbo so..

The way I explain it to a student would be, I want your hands to GET loaded by a pulling repositioning stretched torso. In a sense walking away from your hands.
But what is really happening is the torso is gaining ground while the hands stay relatively in the same place near the back shoulder. The torso loads from the beginning of the negative move until toe touch/foot plant. When the front foot gets down (touches the ground) you will see the scap retract( a reaction) to a loaded torso that is ready to turn efficiently. Imo.

The hands should be ‘live and independent’ or ‘ free ‘ to hit the pitch where it is located.

Look again when JDs scap retracts. Does it look active or reactive? To me it doesn’t do anything until his front oblique says so. That would be a reaction.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1112546887167426560?s=21

Here’s another guy

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1073774233870684160?s=21

Hopefully I answered what you were asking. If not keep firing. We will get there. Lol.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not a good ‘scap’ guy. Never mention it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Agree, you want the movements to be a reaction not an action.. Movements that happen as a reaction allows for the continuous flow, which makes the swing adjustable.. If your focused on pulling something back the hands may get stuck. Once the sequence starts it needs to be one continuous move..

7gOCRnJ.gif

There it is.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Julray,

You want some loading/stretching or whatever you want to call it around the body and not just straight back toward the catcher. That is why you had to correct your daughter. I have no problems with scap loading or pulling back, although like anything a little goes a long ways. It is easy to over do it.

May 12, 2016
Julray,

You want some loading/stretching or whatever you want to call it around the body and not just straight back toward the catcher. That is why you had to correct your daughter. I have no problems with scap loading or pulling back, although like anything a little goes a long ways. It is easy to over do it.

Thanks Shawn, I am not referring to pulling the hands back towards the catcher at all. I'm talking about Scapular retraction, not taking the hands straight back towards the catcher. Subtle movement, but it helps create that stretch. The discussion here is whether it's reaction to something else.. or an action the hitter takes to assist other muscles in creating stretch/tension

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Is Sosa loading the scap in this clip? Or retracting the scap? I think it becomes retracted naturally, unless someone is not doing it then perhaps it needs coached.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach