Notable changes over 20-minutes.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Interesting changes in a swing over a short period of time. There are significant changes beyond what is mentioned in the video.

Changes credited include ...

1) Better posture.

2) Adding more of a pullback (pulling back with the top arm and incorporating the back). Greater early lead-arm extension.

3) Launching the upper body back.

4) Turning the barrel at swing launch versus pushing the barrel forward.

Looks like the hitter got more into his legs. More tension in legs will help with developing a better sequence. Staying in the legs during the stride and into swing launch is critical.

Somebody explain turning the barrel? Is this a teach? Would like more info on this

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Good points.

I don't like the notion of pulling back to then pull forward. That comes across as a two-piece action to me. Not that such an approach can't work, but it isn't the fluidity I prefer. Look at Ortiz below ... in a sense his back-up-in action flows/loops into his forward swing ... it is more one continuous flowing action.

Ortiz.gif

Yes. More of the core pulling the hands after it settles into position. Not pulling the hands back waiting. In the best swings I see the energy flow forward towards the field in sequential dynamic balance.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Looks like the hitter got more into his legs. More tension in legs will help with developing a better sequence. Staying in the legs during the stride and into swing launch is critical.

Somebody explain turning the barrel? Is this a teach? Would like more info on this

The video provided is what happens during a good swing. Not necessarily a way to learn how to turn the barrel. What needs to happen has really nothing to do with the barrel. It has to do with the sequence a hitter has and must have the torso engine driving the swing to accomplish TTB as a reaction not action.

The reason being is as Antonelli mentioned. ‘The body turns and the barrel picks up speed’. What this essentially means is sequence needs to be present. With a driving torso for it to be possible in a reactionary sense.

Advice: learn how to SEQUENCE a hitter in BALANCE accompanied with a direct HAND PATH and TTB will result. Tangible actions are what matter.

A lot of folks get stuck on certain catch phrases which hinder their understanding of a good swing. Those last 3 are about it imo, learn those and the catch phrases will be present in your teachings. But as reactions.

May 12, 2016
I'm finding the same thing as I see more and more of his stuff. It's presented well, even for people who don't have a lot of experience discussing swing mechanics.

He does a fantastic job of explaining and demonstrating. Makes things simple. I have subscribed to his Youtube channel

May 12, 2016
Yes. More of the core pulling the hands after it settles into position. Not pulling the hands back waiting. In the best swings I see the energy flow forward towards the field in sequential dynamic balance.

So you don't believe in pulling the hands back ... but do you believe resisting by engaging the scap as COM progresses forward? IMO that's what causes the lead elbow to straighten. Just went through this with my DD, she was pulling straight back(with hands) when gathering. I explained instead of pulling back, create resistance by engaging scap as body moves forward.

However I believe there are exceptions, some hitters start with the hands forward, they must bring the hands back to that classic position at some point and resist as COM proceeds forward.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
So you don't believe in pulling the hands back ... but do you believe resisting by engaging the scap as COM progresses forward? IMO that's what causes the lead elbow to straighten. Just went through this with my DD, she was pulling straight back(with hands) when gathering. I explained instead of pulling back, create resistance by engaging scap as body moves forward.

However I believe there are exceptions, some hitters start with the hands forward, they must bring the hands back to that classic position at some point and resist as COM proceeds forward.

https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1112546887167426560?s=21

I think this view will show you what you are looking for... look at what loads, stretches where the ‘effort’ is... see what goes first.. why it goes first... what does what to make ‘this’ do ‘that’.

Personally, I never bring up the scap. But when the student learns the sequence in balance they work it unconsciously. I want the ‘actions’ to create the ‘reactions’ .

May 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/hyattcraig/status/1112546887167426560?s=21

I think this view will show you what you are looking for... look at what loads, stretches where the ‘effort’ is... see what goes first.. why it goes first... what does what to make ‘this’ do ‘that’.

Personally, I never bring up the scap. But when the student learns the sequence in balance they work it unconsciously. I want the ‘actions’ to create the ‘reactions’ .

I guess my eyes aren't so keen, I see the scap being intentionally brought into play in this swing. I see it working in conjunction with other muscles in the torso preventing the upper body from leaking forward until "go time". I don't see the scap as a reaction in this swing, I see it as an active player.

I'm not saying you are wrong W=w, it's just simply what my eyes see.... and would love to hear your thoughts on what makes the scap work it's way back like we see in that swing

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Agree, you want the movements to be a reaction not an action.. Movements that happen as a reaction allows for the continuous flow, which makes the swing adjustable.. If your focused on pulling something back the hands may get stuck. Once the sequence starts it needs to be one continuous move..

7gOCRnJ.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma