New Girls Travel Ball Team 16U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2012
We are starting a new girls travel ball team 16U, the three of us have coached and have children who have played with teams before, but we never handled the "business side of it". We are in California and need help on what we need to have in place before starting the team. What we know is that we need a Tax ID for donations, team insurance, and registration with an organization like "NSA", is there anything else? Thank you

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
A plan for team colors. Seriously. DD's team is getting all new uniforms this year and the only thing the girls can agree on is that they all hate last year's colors. Our organization has a set logo, but they let colors be flexible (why? why?)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
That's a rough age group to start at. There are a LOT of parent/player expectations to manage at that age. Make sure your communication is clear, concise, and well documented. Set the expectations publicly from the getgo, have a plan, and adhere to the plan as the season progresses. Encourage parents and players to communicate their own expectations before the season begins. Make sure that you communicate their place in your organization and the plan to get them to where they want to be, milestones, ect.

-W

Oct 30, 2012
thank you for the info, but how about the legal stuff, as far as I know all we need is:
1. team insurance
2. Tax ID for donations
3. registering with an organazation, such as NSA, ASA, USSSA, etc.
4. player agreements
anything else? thank you

Oct 30, 2012
thank you for the info, but how about the legal stuff, as far as I know all we need is:
1. team insurance
2. Tax ID for donations
4. player agreements
anything else? thank you

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
1. team insurance
2. Tax ID for donations
4. player agreements
anything else? thank you

If you are sure you want to take this on.......Here are a few needs prior to getting going

Schedule- You will need to know what tournaments you plan to play and when
Fields- Where will you practice and what do they cost? Most good complex's are expensive
Equipment- What will you need to get through the first six months? Balls, nets, tee's, etc..
Budget- Parents will want to know EXACTLY what they are getting into. You should include player fees and expected fundraising efforts and try to balance the budget to zero.
Insurance- You should make sure you have this set prior to holding a try out. IT is inexpensive and well worth it.

The rest can be done after you get going. You can register for the different org's fairly cheap. Don't forget to include uniforms in your budget. Are they keeping the uniforms or turning them in? What about bags and helmets? I would have all of this worked out prior to holding a tryout. 16U in California is a tough team to start. The better players will go to established teams for exposure. Remember, just because you put the Colorado Sparkler on your teams schedule, doesn't mean you are going to get in. There are long wait lists for many top tournaments. Again, I would urge you to reconsider. What is the reason for starting your own team? Unless it is going to be a local "B" type team, I would seriously have to rethink this one. If you want your DD to play in college, go get her on the best possible team you can find that will get her in front of college coaches. You could be hurting her rather than helping at this stage of the game. If she is playing just because she wants to spend time with her friends, then go for it. I would hate for her to miss out during such a critical time in the recruiting process. Good luck in your decision.

Oct 30, 2012
thank you for the info, we have all coached before, city req., middle schools, high schools, and travel ball teams, just never started one, our girls are more of B team than a top A team, we are doing this because of all the reason people are telling us not to, because we have seen other teams try and fail and make it miserable for the girls. We are not charging the girls for anything, we had our first fundraiser today and did very well. it should cover the cost of the tax id, registration with NSA, insurance, team shirts, and maybe jersey tops, we are planning to have more before the season starts for equipment. We are doing it because we love the game and want the girls to enjoy playing the sport and hopefully some of them will get a chance to be noticed. Thank you very much

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
thank you for the info, we have all coached before, city req., middle schools, high schools, and travel ball teams, just never started one, our girls are more of B team than a top A team, we are doing this because of all the reason people are telling us not to, because we have seen other teams try and fail and make it miserable for the girls. We are not charging the girls for anything, we had our first fundraiser today and did very well. it should cover the cost of the tax id, registration with NSA, insurance, team shirts, and maybe jersey tops, we are planning to have more before the season starts for equipment. We are doing it because we love the game and want the girls to enjoy playing the sport and hopefully some of them will get a chance to be noticed. Thank you very much

Having done this in Canada I can offer some general information as the rules are slightly different in the States. My reasons were the same. The banking thing is important. Remove yourself from any scrutiny related to team funds, you have enough to worry about running the team. Two signatures required for every cheque. Our funds disappeared the first year and without getting the police involved I would have been out of pocket $2000 not counting what I had paid for my dd. Anyway, once your team is registered with an association, insurance is in place etc, get to know the operator of the diamonds very well. They will come in handy along the way.

We started and have continued as an independant so there is no organization to fall back on. If you are in the same situation, be prepared to answer all questions. Head coach is "Head Guy" (sorry for the reference but I call all people "guys" in this context). Parents need to know what tournaments are being played, hotel arrangments etc so it is nice to have a parent liasion in place as part of the "executive".

Here in Canada you need a certified coach on the roster to enter the Provincial and National competitions, I am sure it is the same in the States. Know the cut-off date for roster submission in case you want to add to the roster just before competitions etc.

I guess basically once you have insurance, have registered with a softball organization (ASA, NSA etc), your banking is in place and have some (at least loose) affilation with a league or association all that is left is uniforms, equipment, communicating expectations so everyone knows their role and oh yeah.......that whole coahcing thing which can be heartache at the best of times (as you prbobaly know considering your experience). Pay attention to the details but don't lose sight of the big picture. As one of the originaing parents, you will be called upon for a lot of things. I am going into my final (hopefully) year with this team and have loved every minute of it. If your reasons stated are truly why you are doing this then enjoy the ride. It will be bumpy at times, but I would not change anything in the world for my experience. I have made life long freinds along the way with both adults and kids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd