Manipulating the Barrel Early with Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Eric, she's a hell of a player but the barrel path doesn't match MLB samples

Nothing wrong with her path for those pitch locations. She is a bit more vertical in her path for those pitch locations as she launches with a more vertical bat than most of the guys you show in that clip, unless you are saying a more diagonal bat at launch is a must. As long as she can adjust for pitches up in the zone I don't see an issue.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Julray, I see them both staying inside the ball but the barrel path isn't the same.. JD's barrel path is flat and appears to be his focus, while DiCarlo's path is vertical.

Both of those demos are waste high pitches... in this at bat Dicarlo's barrel path is also flatter because the pitch is just above belt high

While in this vid Martinez belts just above knees and his barrel path is more vertical.

I know this is pretty obvious stuff, the reason I chose Martinez is because his barrel path changed so much since he changed his swing, and I see similarities

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Both of those demos are waste high pitches... in this at bat Dicarlo's barrel path is also flatter because the pitch is just above belt high

While in this vid Martinez belts just above knees and his barrel path is more vertical.

I know this is pretty obvious stuff, the reason I chose Martinez is because his barrel path changed so much since he changed his swing, and I see similarities

Sorry Julray, I don't see it that way at all.. I see JD's path being caused by the hands being pulled by the core from a leveraged fyb position while Dicarlo's path is created by turning the barrel with the hands and forearms.

9g62ozt.gif

yvz2Dvw.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry Julray, I don't see it that way at all.. I see JD's path being caused by the hands being pulled by the core from a leveraged fyb position while Dicarlo's path is created by turning the barrel with the hands and forearms.

9g62ozt.gif

yvz2Dvw.gif
In the JD example above, he put the breaks on (e.g. he knew it was a take) in the first few frames..anything after that is irrelevant imo.

May 12, 2016
No need to be sorry.. It's fine. I am just looking at barrel path and I understand that can be affected by upstream mechanics.. however IMO, whether TTB or not, JD does get quite vertical depending on pitch location. I don't think Romero's path can be compared to either Dicarlo or Martinez.. well maybe before Martinez changed his swing

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Nothing wrong with her path for those pitch locations. She is a bit more vertical in her path for those pitch locations as she launches with a more vertical bat than most of the guys you show in that clip, unless you are saying a more diagonal bat at launch is a must. As long as she can adjust for pitches up in the zone I don't see an issue.

Patter, her ttb pattern works for her but no one other then AJ during the HR derby had a similar path.. We all know the struggles he had coming out of the derby.. The best are able to adjust the hands and barrel path based on pitch location.

Jun 8, 2016
No need to be sorry.. It's fine. I am just looking at barrel path and I understand that can be affected by upstream mechanics.. however IMO JD does get quite vertical depending on pitch location. I don't think Romero's path can be compared to either Dicarlo or Martinez.. well maybe before Martinez changed his swing
Her path is really flat, at least on that swing she doesn't work her front shoulder up at all. Of course that was a cage swing where she was trying to put up numbers so who knows.

Jun 8, 2016
Patter, her ttb pattern works for her but no one other then AJ during the HR derby had a similar path.. We all know the struggles he had coming out of the derby.. The best are able to adjust the hands and barrel path based on pitch location.
Right, so what about her adjustment to the higher pitch that Julray showed?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
No need to be sorry.. It's fine. I am just looking at barrel path and I understand that can be affected by upstream mechanics.. however IMO, whether TTB or not, JD does get quite vertical depending on pitch location. I don't think Romero's path can be compared to either Dicarlo or Martinez.. well maybe before Martinez changed his swing

The barrel and hand pivot need to be adjustable for all pitches in the zone.. Romero's path is a lot closer to the high level swing then Dicarlos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1