LSU vs FSU obstruction at home?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
I thought in NCAA you couldn't block the path to the base without the ball?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Oct 26, 2019
If that had been called obstruction I think I would pull my kid from softball and put her in soccer. I am so glad they didn’t overthink that call like the announcers were overthinking it.

May 29, 2015
It looked to me as if she was set up at the "point" ... I cringed as soon as the announcer said that she was blocking the front but left the back part of the plate open. 🤯

For the record, the NCAA rule does NOT say you can block part of the the plate. It says that blocking all of the base is considered obstruction. Spelling out one example does not preclude all others.

1.) Did the defense block the entire bag/plate? If yes, OBSTRUCTION. If no, go to #2.
2.) Did the defense block any of the plate/bag? If yes, go to #3. If no, play on.
3.) Did the blocking impede the runner? If yes, go to #4. If no, play on.
4.) Was the runner out? If yes, go to #5. If no, play on.
5.) Would the runner have clearly been out absent the impedance? If no, OBSTRUCTION. If yes, OUT.

Interesting thing I found though ... and maybe I have just not spent enough time in the NCAA rule book ... NCAA does allow an obstructed runner to be called out if they clearly would have been out anyway. IMO, this is something other codes NEED to adopt.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
I think we discussed another obstrution call earlier in the week that was suspect. I don't think this one was at all. Just my opinion and glad it was brought up as I thought it might be but not obstruction IMO.

I too thought the announcers made too much of a big deal about it. Not needed IMHO.

Se

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I think we discussed another obstrution call earlier in the week that was suspect. I don't think this one was at all. Just my opinion and glad it was brought up as I thought it might be but not obstruction IMO.

I too thought the announcers made too much of a big deal about it. Not needed IMHO.

Agree that they were just looking to make a play controversial, but it wasn't. Thought this was as obvious a no call as the play last weekend was an obvious obstruction.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Agree that they were just looking to make a play controversial, but it wasn't. Thought this was as obvious a no call as the play last weekend was an obvious obstruction.
I agree 100% on that! Just something to talk about and they KEPT TALKING about it for like FOREVER. :rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Tomorrow should be solid! Can't wait!!!

S3

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If that had been called obstruction I think I would pull my kid from softball and put her in soccer. I am so glad they didn’t overthink that call like the announcers were overthinking it.
:) atleast in soccer every player gets to fall down at incidental contact, grab their ankle and appeal by doing so...

Geeez how much worse could it get,
Bb and Sb players arbitrarily 'on their own' falling down in hopes of a rule call...

Ohhh wait appears some moments are already cheesing on obstruction incidences?!?!? :unsure:

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Interesting thing I found though ... and maybe I have just not spent enough time in the NCAA rule book ... NCAA does allow an obstructed runner to be called out if they clearly would have been out anyway. IMO, this is something other codes NEED to adopt.
THANKYOU FOR THIS ☝

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish