College rule about getting hit by pitch that is over the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
It really did not take a rocket scientist to figure out when they changed this rule batters were going to start crowding the plate and standing like statues. Batters crowd the plate far more now than they did before. It would really help if umpires would actually call the rule correctly rather than treating it as a free pass to first.
Have talked about how much this has changed the game over the years. Glad to see others commenting to recognize it!

Definitely ability for pitchers to utilize more pitching locations has been taken away.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What about this rule? This is from a 20-21 book, I couldn't find anything newer on line.

11�2�3 Any part of each foot in contact with the ground must be completely
within the lines of the batter’s box until the pitch is released�

Jun 18, 2023
What about this rule? This is from a 20-21 book, I couldn't find anything newer on line.

feels like too much for an ump to keep track of and track a pitch. to me in that image it looks like she's within the outer edge of the lines, but don't really know how you'd tell it's so scuffed. Do all rulesets not include the lines as part of the box? There's a good couple inches between her toes and the plate though?

I mean, crowding the plate is fine as long as you're within the rules, it's not the batter's fault if the umpire misses that call.

Nov 9, 2021
Correct call. Her elbow is outside of batter's box.

I think he got half of the call correct and the other half wrong. He correctly decided the player shouldn’t be awarded a base. But he awarded the batter a ball instead of the pitcher a strike. I believe that should have been a strike as well. Probably the pitch before that also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
High probability that if there's a body or body part in the way of the pitch,
the view of a pitch coming through would also be obstructed trying to see the strike area, would be hard to call the pitch accurately.

Therein lies a problem.

So I propose this question for discussion
~ if the batter interferes with their body a pitch coming through The Zone
should they then make it a strike
( not swinging = obstruction)
( no matter what make it a strike)
because it obstructed the umpires ability to call the pitch accurately?

Hmmm???? 🤔

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Back in TB days, we had an ump that enforced this rule. Our coach was not having it. This is the only ump that has every enforced this ever. I see many girls start with the foot out of the box and then move in when the pitch is thrown. Not sure this rule effects anything or gives the batter any advantage.

Jul 22, 2015
Now want to bring this up to the other dfp'ers and umpires. If you were the coach of Tennessee and you were thinking that Stanford's players are disrupting the strike zone area... what would be your approach (if any) to the umpires about the situation?

It's an unfortunate situation for the offense because there's the disruption of what the Batters are doing that creates Umpire not being able to view the pitch all the way and get an accurate call on it. While at the same time the batter gets to stay in the Box to complete their at-bat ...
➡️What you going to do?View attachment 29413
I don't give the batter the benefit of the doubt on these pitches. If it was close to being a strike and you didn't let me see it because you purposefully got in the way, I'm calling it a dead ball strike. If it was strike 3, then it's an out.

Jan 22, 2011
Looked this rule up for ASA/USA after my DD lost a game because of a HPB walk with the player’s toes over line crowding the plate.

7-3-A. Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot may be outside the lines prior to the pitch.
7-3-C. The batter must take the batter’s position in the batter’s box within 10 seconds after being directed to do so by the umpire.
Effect:
1 The ball is dead.
2 A strike on the batter.
Note: No pitch has to be thrown.

I need to check what NFHS says.

Jun 22, 2008
Every ruleset requires the batter to have both feet completely within the batters box before the pitch. College has a unique rule in that any part of the foot outside the box at the time the batter makes contact with the ball (using the bat) the batter is out.

Believe me I took grief in high school ball because I enforced the hit by pitch rule exactly as written. I had a game that the coach tried to eject herself on the 2nd pitch of the game. Batter steps in, toes right on the inside edge of the box and crouches down with knees and elbows out over the plate. Pitcher throws inside and I watch batter track the ball all the way to her thigh. She tosses the bat and takes off for first. Nope, get right back in the box. Here comes the coach. Tell her the ball was not completely in the box and batter did not avoid. Batter sets up in exact same position and pitcher throws exact same pitch and I watch batter do exactly the same thing. Nope, right back here. Now coach wants to lose her mind. I stopped her and asked if she really wanted to be ejected on the 2nd pitch of the game.

May 29, 2015
Definitely ability for pitchers to utilize more pitching locations has been taken away.

I highly disagree, and will tell coaches that. The pitcher should throw the pitcher's pitch. The batter doesn't take anything away . . . the pitcher gives it up. If she is out over the plate, throw your pitch and let it hit her. I'll call it correctly.

Every ruleset requires the batter to have both feet completely within the batters box before the pitch. College has a unique rule in that any part of the foot outside the box at the time the batter makes contact with the ball (using the bat) the batter is out.

Believe me I took grief in high school ball because I enforced the hit by pitch rule exactly as written. I had a game that the coach tried to eject herself on the 2nd pitch of the game. Batter steps in, toes right on the inside edge of the box and crouches down with knees and elbows out over the plate. Pitcher throws inside and I watch batter track the ball all the way to her thigh. She tosses the bat and takes off for first. Nope, get right back in the box. Here comes the coach. Tell her the ball was not completely in the box and batter did not avoid. Batter sets up in exact same position and pitcher throws exact same pitch and I watch batter do exactly the same thing. Nope, right back here. Now coach wants to lose her mind. I stopped her and asked if she really wanted to be ejected on the 2nd pitch of the game.

I applaud that pitcher. I can understand coaches not wanting their pitchers to roll the dice when this call is missed more often than not, but when you showed you were on it? I'd have thrown every single pitch there.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles