Just started playing catcher.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Hi guys.

I've been playing softball since I was 11 and every year, I was a pitcher. I started high school this school year and was supposed to be behind 3 other girls for playing time as a pitcher. Unfortunately, our senior catcher went down with a torn ACL and MCL. Our backup catcher is our starting second baseman. But, my coach decided yesterday she was going to have me play catcher instead of our second baseman. I've never played the position before short of a couple of games for fun with family and friends just goofing around. Here are my questions…

How difficult will the transition be for me to go from pitcher to catcher?

What drills can I do to help my transition?

I have a brother that is a catcher on his baseball team. How can he help me with my transition to catcher or will his skills not necessarily transition to softball?

My school doesn't provide gear. What is the best equipment I can buy used until I see I can play the position well and get new equipment?

Thanks.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You will be fine, C might be the most important position on the fiield.

If you get along with your brother work with him, 100% translates to SB.

Besides the technical part side of C you need to be a therapist, keep YOUR pitchers on an even keel.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Learn everything you can from your brother. Then, learn even more by yourself. There has been lots of discussion in this section of DFP that you will probably find helpful.

A few things to keep in mind...

Catcher's priorities:
1. Catch the ball - NOTHING is more important than simply making good catches consistently. Good technique will also help you get more strikes for your pitchers (you probably know that already, being a pitcher). Good catching also means less passed balls or dropped 3rd strikes, both of which cost the team with runners and/or runs.
2. Block the ball - Your pitcher WILL put some in the dirt. Keeping that ball in front of you, and in control, prevents runners from moving and runs from scoring. Be aware that developing good blocking mechanics takes time and lots of practice to get it to the point of being a reflex reaction at game speed.
3. Throw the ball - Coaches and fans love seeing the "hero play" of throwing out a base-runner, and often make it too high of a priority. As you practice your throwing mechanics, focus more on quickness (footwork, transfer, and arm path) than just throwing hard. A strong arm with a long and slow throwing pattern is an easy stolen base.
4. Field the ball - Quickness to field bunts, passed balls, and pop ups is important. Don't neglect this part of the game.

Other items to be aware of:
- ALWAYS protect your throwing hand.
- Learn proper receiving stances - wide and stable, not narrow and on your toes. It will improve your receiving ability significantly.
- Be a quarterback! No one on the field has a better view of what's going on than the catcher. Before each batter, get out from behind the plate, pull your mask off, and tell your team - LOUDLY - what the situation is (outs, runners, etc.) During a live play, communicate - LOUDLY - with your teammates.
- On the field, be your pitcher's best friend and therapist. Keep her focused on the next task, not the mistake she just made. Get her to give you her best pitch on EVERY pitch.

Be the catcher you wish you had as a pitcher!

Good luck and WELCOME TO DFP!! :) We love catcher-beasts!! :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thank you guys cor your input. Another question I have is, will my height… or lack there of (I'm 4'10") be a hinderance as well as being a lefty?

Some coaches may see your height as a liability, but if your coach is already asking you to play catcher, that's not really an issue at the moment. Nothing proves yourself like doing a great job!!

Lefty is not an issue. Your throw to 3B will be more challenging, but your throw to 1B will be easier. Your glove angle for catching RH pitchers is a little better.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
My daughter is a lefty catcher (12U) and I was kind of nervous that she would face some resistance about it, but so far, everyone has been totally fine with it. I don't think height is as big of a deal as throwing ability and situational awareness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse