HS Softball Started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Our HS is somewhere around 2300-2400 students and we seem to consistently get about 30 girls to come try out, usually enough for a full Varsity and JV roster. I think all the girls on Varsity are playing or have played travel ball at some level, several at the regional and even national level. We won the Class 6 (largest schools by population) state championship in VA last year. Most of that team is back this year, so it will be interesting to see whether we can repeat. Had a lot of balls fall our way to do it last season. We won a number of close games that could have gone either way, including the championship game, 2-1.
I currently live in a state that doesn't have divisions / classes...

Small school has never won state (an evolution is long overdue).

May 18, 2022
Practices start Monday, it's going to be a rough year, but it will hopefully be the schools first year with a JV team. The highschool only has maybe 400 kids, but including 7th and 8th graders we had 24 girls show up to the interest meeting. 3 experienced travel ball girls, 2 are freshman.

We have a strong soccer program and those girls all seem to end up on the track team :rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2019
MN
For those of you with larger enrollments (2000+) and small rosters, do you have a lot of travel ball players who just choose not to play HS ball?

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
Our HS is somewhere around 2300-2400 students and we seem to consistently get about 30 girls to come try out, usually enough for a full Varsity and JV roster. I think all the girls on Varsity are playing or have played travel ball at some level, several at the regional and even national level. We won the Class 6 (largest schools by population) state championship in VA last year. Most of that team is back this year, so it will be interesting to see whether we can repeat. Had a lot of balls fall our way to do it last season. We won a number of close games that could have gone either way, including the championship game, 2-1.
Wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a rematch in the finals again this year. Most of JMHS is back as well. Both teams have great youth programs that seem to continuously restock the high schools. We had 45 girls tryout this year.

PS - the Ghost you sold me is working out really well for my DD. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2023
Iowa here, so the official start of the season is still a month and a half away. School enrollment of 1132, and last year they only had enough to field 2 teams (JV and Varsity), around 27-30 total players between the two teams. After graduating 5 seniors (including the most dominant pitcher I think the school has ever seen), this season may end up being a really rough one. Will be interesting to see numbers from tryouts when they happen and to see if there's any players from the JV that are able to step up and fill the big shoes left by last years senior class.

Jul 15, 2021
Iowa here, so the official start of the season is still a month and a half away.

How does that work? Does your season continue on after school is out for the summer? I wish Montana would consider that, but not sure if there'd be enough participation to do so. The girls who love softball would already be entering travel season, and those who play for something to do would rather do things other than play softball in June.

Aug 4, 2023
How does that work? Does your season continue on after school is out for the summer? I wish Montana would consider that, but not sure if there'd be enough participation to do so. The girls who love softball would already be entering travel season, and those who play for something to do would rather do things other than play softball in June.
It does. First official day of the season (first practice) is April 29. Games start May 20 and run through the beginning of July, with Regionals and State ending the week of July 22 this year. Makes for less weather related issues, but also keeps the girls that are playing out of summer travel season.

Jun 23, 2021
Here in Texas, I believe the max regular season games is 30 (in and out of district) but there is not limit to HS tourneys they are not part of the total.

One of the issues I see is zealous coaches set up schedules and don't have the pitching staff to support them. I have seen overworked ace pitchers get hurt and several HS SS that have to draw on their 10u rec experience to get thru games.
We're in Texas too, but the part of Texas where football and basketball are king. Our three coaches are football coaches. It sucks. We play in a 6A powerhouse division, but our school doesn't allocate the same resources towards the sport as the teams at the top of our district. The head played high school baseball 25 years ago, and holds an umpires certification, so he thinks he is God's gift to softball, and will let you know about it. We play a total of 33 games including tournaments. The first three weeks were crazy. My daughter missed three days of school each of the first three weeks of the season because of the crazy schedule. We had two pitchers. My daughter is one of them, and the other one was coming off of a back injury, so her innings were limited. The coach in his brilliance had the other pitcher that was coming off of a back injury play catcher when she wasn't pitching, since he didn't develop any other catchers over the course of the last two years. Well, wouldn't you know the other pitcher re-injured her back, and now my daughter is the only pitcher. For us, high school softball is a real Willy Wonka experience.

Aug 5, 2022
Our enrollment is about 1300 kids. 35 came out. We kept 30…15 varsity, JV. We have 7 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 Sophmores and a freshman on varsity. 11 of which are returners. 3 sec commits, 1 big 10, 2 mid major, 1 d2…problem none of them are on our pitching staff. It should be a good season not sure it can be a championship season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles