How to Teach Long Through the Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
ministep.gif

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
With regards to the reverse hand drill and teaching long through the ball...Could this work using 2 tees? By that I mean 1 tee set deep and another set even with or near the front foot? The goal would be to take the barrel through the zone of both contact points?? Perhaps a ball set on only 1 tee at a time either front or back but not both. As I type this I'm trying to visualize where to set the tees.
It might too difficult to set them at the proper height and location for a proper path. Just spit balling here.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I think something to keep in mind when doing the drills listed in this thread (and all of them are very good drills for teaching extension) is to be sure to explain to the hitter why she might be "short-arming" the swing and not getting extension. In my experience, the two major culprits are:

1. Keeping the front elbow pressed against the torso throughout the swing. They do this because they're trying hard to stay inside the ball (without being shown how), and usually because they are hitting straight up and down (level shoulders) without any torso tilt. For this problem, show them how the front elbow is supposed to work (show "the turning triangle"). For me, I show how the front elbow stays flexed, moves up a ramp and the back elbow replaces where the front elbow started as the bottom uncoils/unwinds from the hips, through the torso, through the shoulders. It's not a perfect cue, but it does help show them how the front elbow needs to have space away from their torso and still be able to hit inside the ball.

2. Rolling the top hand over early, even to the point of sometimes smacking the bat against their front/outside shoulder at the end of the swing. These hitters really yank the top of the barrel around with their top hand. For these hitters, I use the "Throwing the Bat" drill. It gives them a sense of what their hands are supposed to be doing. CAUTION: When using this drill for these hitters, use wiffle bats and/or get everyone around you the heck out of the way! The first few swings with these hitters are hazardous.

In addition to the drills mentioned here and in this thread (I still really like the inverted grip/reverse top-hand drill) I also use the cues, "Get l o n g e r with your follow through," and "Let it go . . ." as in let the barrel go where it wants to go, not where your top hand thinks it should go.

Apr 11, 2012
Thank you everyone for the tips. She has done the throwing the bat drill (not with an actual bat). She has gotten so much better at this. Used to always go to left side (almost 3b when first started). Now the first few are heading to left-center and then she is able to get them going straight. Will try the reverse hand swing. Thanks again!

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL, many a Mountie hitter has seen your daughter in action with this drill. I probably ought to pay the two of you royalties for as much as I show it. Do you take traveler's checks? :)

Casey is a broke college kid. Works every chance she can when she comes back home. She would laugh at your comment, and take you up on that.:)

She knows I have posted her swing. She has no idea to what extent or how many people know who she is.:cool:
She has never once read this site.
She just knows I give lessons at home and help girls on the internet....

One time couple of years ago this girl came for a lesson. Casey walked in the garage to get something and the girl said Hi Casey, your the girl in the video's...She said with big eyes.
Like they knew each other for years.
I got a chuckle

SL

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06