How to Teach Long Through the Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Hmmmm.....this could start another war, but all IMHO if you want to be long through the ball (which in my mind means a long hitting zone which means getting on plane early) you need to practice with a deep tee and learn how to hit line drives off this tee position....the sooner the barrel gets in zone and on plane (not meaning a chop down swing) the much better chance you have of staying there a long time....a big part of getting good on the deep tee is learning how to launch/turn the barrel rearward first with the hands/wrists/forearms as opposed to pulling the bat forward via shoulder rotation....

some examples

LarsenTilt_zpsa112faf6.gif

2yx3ris.gif

PujolsAxisSpring.gif

Last edited:
R

RayR

I will vote that one as well. Reversing the top hand can set up the hitter to turn the barrel early if the top hand pushes rearward as the bottom hand pulls - in essence creating a hand pivot point. This drill can also connect the back arm to the barrel as the reverse top hand limits the upper arm's ability to externally rotate (classic bat drag where rear elbow gets way ahead of the hands)

Reverse hand drill. That helps feel the lead arm straighten out.

SL

R

RayR

Absolutely - and please understand this is not a criticism of the player.

The tee is way out in front - watch her hands push to the ball. Later I will pull a slowed down GIF. But, when her hands pass her rear hip her barrel is way above her hands....her barrel finally gets to a "flat" position when her hands are in front of her front hip...

Could you please explain?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Absolutely - and please understand this is not a criticism of the player.

The tee is way out in front - watch her hands push to the ball. Later I will pull a slowed down GIF. But, when her hands pass her rear hip her barrel is way above her hands....her barrel finally gets to a "flat" position when her hands are in front of her front hip...

Where would you recommend the Tee for this drill?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hmmmm.....this could start another war, but all IMHO if you want to be long through the ball (which in my mind means a long hitting zone which means getting on plane early) you need to practice with a deep tee and learn how to hit line drives off this tee position....the sooner the barrel gets in zone and on plane (not meaning a chop down swing) the much better chance you have of staying there a long time....a big part of getting good on the deep tee is learning how to launch/turn the barrel rearward first with the hands/wrists/forearms as opposed to pulling the bat forward via shoulder rotation....

some examples

LarsenTilt_zpsa112faf6.gif

2yx3ris.gif

PujolsAxisSpring.gif

FFS gif.
2v30ej5.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member