'HONEY you should have had that grounder'

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Sorry. What I am seeing in some of these posts looks more like anger and resentment to me.

My daughter is currently away at college but will be home next week (semester is ending). I plan to talk to her about some of these things. As far as I know, she is not offended or uncomfortable by that type of word, although she is very offended and uncomfortable about other words. She has a thyroid issue and has been on medication since she was 8. She has been overweight since then and has had to deal with snarky comments about her weight for a long time. Seriously, I doubt "honey" is going to bother her at all. If I'm wrong, I will let you know.
Its good to read folks considering the topic.

You bring another important perspective to the forum!
👍

Dec 5, 2017
Well said about the age in this! Teenagers do have a perspective that has generally moved from being a child to transition to adults. In a huge big way figuring out social boundaries is happening.

Let me say, i agree we/people should speak up. Use our voices.

BUT your post suggests a teenager who is being put into a situation ON HER TEAM TOWARD THE COACH to tell AN ADULT WHO IS IN AUTHORITY what to say or not.
* in authority over playing time!
* in authority over her spot on the roster!

SERIOUSLY how many parents will not speak up to a coach regarding ANY team issues simply because we all know gripey parents can effect playing time.

Think it through,
Player approach the coach
"hey stop calling me honey you make it uncomfortable"
Coach responds shocked or pissed or disturbed or saddened.
50/50 chance now the coach is also uncomfortable.
What then?
All because words that have nothing to do with coaching and are un-necessary were being used.

As for the comment about whomevers dd laughing or giggling being called honey...
BTW giggling is an emotional response!
That is an example of
*How people respond differently tonthese type of words!
Which is a big point to this topic!
Which is made even clearer by the responses in this thread of posts.
She doesn’t giggle or laugh about it in the moment. She will usually laugh about it or make a joke about it later when we are in the car. She also calls me sweet pea sometimes because she was in the car with me when the girl at Taco bell calked me that. Our kids aren’t as fragile as some believe. My daughter has a great sense of humor, takes criticism well and just rolls with the punches. She actually comes to me when things bother her and we try to work it out. You would probably say that these same girls should speak up to that authority figure about playing time, positions or maybe their spot in the line up. These conversations could also have negative repercussions. We tell females to stand up for themselves and be strong, when does that need to happen. My whole issue is with the tone of some responses, not the responses. Some of these same teens probably listen to music and watch movies that are sexually explicit but the word honey us a problem? Don’t get me started on Tok tok😬