The coaches daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I don't think you should pay ANY attention to the coach's kid, or really anyone else. You're not competing against them, they're already on the team.
Found this to be an interesting response because it's saying don't evaluate the talent level of the rest of the team. Disagree with that. In general because often players are competing against the other players for time and position.
And the entire team will be competing against other teams. People should be evaluating while looking for a good fit.

Add to that, would pay attention to the coach's kid because of this example:
IF they are at a certain age (going to say 14) throwing rainbow throws, which are an indication of underdeveloped.
At that point I would wonder if the players parent coach is actually able to coach to resolve that.
As an evaluation tool of a player who has been around the coach probably the longest.
*Would wonder why it hadn't been resolved yet.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023
Found this to be an interesting response because it's saying don't evaluate the talent level of the rest of the team. Disagree with that. In general because often players are competing against the other players for time and position.
And the entire team will be competing against other teams. People should be evaluating while looking for a good fit.

You can't reasonably evaluate a player that you don't know that's essentially just at a practice from a distance for a short amount of time. You have almost zero context for why they're doing what they're doing.

You're at a tryout to prove you're good enough to play. The decision to join is a different one, and sure, if you see red flags watching their games, looking them up, doing research, etc. But an hour or two of a more casual day? Nah. Maybe you see something you want to look into further.

Could be any number of reasons for rainbow throws, they're just fooling around, they're building arm strength to play third after playing second. They've got a jammed finger and are taking it easy.

Here's one: Maybe the first baseman is the position they're looking for a new player at, and they're fielding someone there that's not super comfortable, so instead of firing bullets, she's being a little looser with it.

Don't be too quick to jump to conclusions.

May 13, 2023
You can't reasonably evaluate a player that you don't know that's essentially just at a practice from a distance for a short amount of time. You have almost zero context for why they're doing what they're doing.

If people can't reasonably evaluate a player there would be no need for tryouts where coaches are evaluating players to pick up. Don't have to have the title coach to be able to evaluate.

Sure there are people that may not know what to look for. However level throws versus rainbow throws are distinctly different. To that there are people that can evaluate what they're looking at.
There are also other basic level skill sets people can look to for evaluation.
Bonus: Having discussions like this on the Forum can help people learn how to evaluate.

Watching is part of evaluating.
Sitting in the bleachers watching a group of players all doing the same thing.
Some doing things better than others will stand out.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I can get a pretty good idea of talent level in 15 minutes BUT evaluating hitting ability requires live pitching. Seen many hitters destroy coach pitch but can't hit live pitching very well. Usually long armbar swings that can create good bat speed and can hit bombs during front toss but fall apart come game time.

Apr 17, 2019
I'm a mom coach of a mediocre talent. I think about this a lot as I love the game, love coaching, coached before I had kids, and now give private hitting and pitching lessons on the side.
My DD is definitely not a walking billboard for me. Her attitude isn't great, she's like a 4 speed automatic transmission, she can't find a high gear. She likes games, but hates to practice. It's pulling teeth to get her to practice; she's never once said "hey mom, want to play catch?" I don't press the issue as it was damaging to our relationship, so I backed off.
So our team is a C team, barely above rec. I would love to say like the others that I've kept girls together for 10 years and they all went on to play in college. Maybe after my DD graduates, I'll start over with an 8u team and see if I can do that.
But I love what I do. I take the talent that others have overlooked, or their confidence was destroyed by some butthead coach, or they've just started playing the game at 16u. Every year I lose 2-3 players as they move on to higher level teams. It's bittersweet, but I've been doing this since 10u and now have something of a legacy of great players that came out of this team.
So I hope you don't judge me by my daughter's performance.
I guess it would be fair to judge the talent level of the team though.

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
I'm a mom coach of a mediocre talent. I think about this a lot as I love the game, love coaching, coached before I had kids, and now give private hitting and pitching lessons on the side.
My DD is definitely not a walking billboard for me. Her attitude isn't great, she's like a 4 speed automatic transmission, she can't find a high gear. She likes games, but hates to practice. It's pulling teeth to get her to practice; she's never once said "hey mom, want to play catch?" I don't press the issue as it was damaging to our relationship, so I backed off.
So our team is a C team, barely above rec. I would love to say like the others that I've kept girls together for 10 years and they all went on to play in college. Maybe after my DD graduates, I'll start over with an 8u team and see if I can do that.
But I love what I do. I take the talent that others have overlooked, or their confidence was destroyed by some butthead coach, or they've just started playing the game at 16u. Every year I lose 2-3 players as they move on to higher level teams. It's bittersweet, but I've been doing this since 10u and now have something of a legacy of great players that came out of this team.

I just told this to a coach who lost a former player this week......the best measure of a coach is if your players take a piece of you with them when their journey with you is done; that's truly all that matters...

My particular softball coaching journey happened by mistake, and I hit the perfect storm lottery with the group that I had....they forced me to become a better coach, and I can only hope they take some little thing I taught with them now that most of their journeys with me are over, because I took a lot I learned from them with me

18+ is for funsies, but I have one more run with DD2 left.... the goal is to finish HS 76-0 with 4 straight titles.....we sit at 56 & 3 ;)

If DD3 doesn't come back to softball, I, too, might try again with a young group.....or I might just actually flyfish again

Apr 14, 2022
I can get a pretty good idea of talent level in 15 minutes BUT evaluating hitting ability requires live pitching. Seen many hitters destroy coach pitch but can't hit live pitching very well. Usually long armbar swings that can create good bat speed and can hit bombs during front toss but fall apart come game time.
Hitting definitely has the biggest gap.
I would say that for other positions as we particularly when trying to decide a thin margin, between good and really good. Hand eye coordination and mental toughness is usually what separates the elite depending on position.

May 13, 2023
Absolutely on board with Live Pitching for hitting evaluation!
Requirement if I'm coaching a team picking up players they need to come to at least two practices and a day of Friendly's for games. Gives both the coaching staff and the family player opportunity to evaluate.

Nov 13, 2020
I think you are a rare gem- you seem to have great self awareness for your DD's skill level and desire to play. As the girls get older and if there is a real desire to play more competitively, it can get ugly real fast when it appears there is favoritism for the coach's kid who doesn't appear to be as competitive or talented.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414