Situational Fielding - 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2023
Where do you coach your girls to go with the ball? These are all assumed to be a grounder to the infield. I wish there was a guide for this kind of stuff lol

1. Runner on second, no outs (check runner, take out at first? Or just take the out at first and ignore the runner until after the out?)
2. Runner on first and third, no outs. Do you all hold the runner at third?
3. Runner on third, no outs. Again, do you hold the runner?
4. Bases loaded, no outs. Are you preventing the run if it’s hit to short or second? Or taking an easy out?

I know what the traditional take is on these situations, but with 10U ball some of these are not as easy as coaching older girls. If anyone has further information past these scenarios, I will take it! We have our outfield situational stuff planned, but trying to figure out the best philosophy for the infield.

Apr 17, 2019
Knowing that this is 10u, unless you have a group of studs with high softball IQ, any time it's not a force play, I would:
1. Take the easy out.
2. Take the easy out.
3. Take the easy out.
4. Take the easy out. That said, I'd make sure my P and C knew the easy out was at home.

Apr 14, 2022
Where do you coach your girls to go with the ball? These are all assumed to be a grounder to the infield. I wish there was a guide for this kind of stuff lol

1. Runner on second, no outs (check runner, take out at first? Or just take the out at first and ignore the runner until after the out?)
2. Runner on first and third, no outs. Do you all hold the runner at third?
3. Runner on third, no outs. Again, do you hold the runner?
4. Bases loaded, no outs. Are you preventing the run if it’s hit to short or second? Or taking an easy out?

I know what the traditional take is on these situations, but with 10U ball some of these are not as easy as coaching older girls. If anyone has further information past these scenarios, I will take it! We have our outfield situational stuff planned, but trying to figure out the best philosophy for the infield.
Unless tieing or winning run in last 1-2 innings Take the easiest out every time, no matter age and skill level.

Jun 18, 2023
Knowing that this is 10u, unless you have a group of studs with high softball IQ, any time it's not a force play, I would:
1. Take the easy out.
2. Take the easy out.
3. Take the easy out.
4. Take the easy out. That said, I'd make sure my P and C knew the easy out was at home.

yup, this. Outs are paramount. Similarly, keeping runners from advancing is important too. Slow grounder to third, or hit to LF, with runner on first... you're not getting the out, but make sure the runner doesn't get to third. Similarly (and especially since most seem pretty bad at judging fly balls) play outfielders back. Ball in front of them, single, fine. Ball over their head? home run.

Once individual players master the field the ball, throw to first you incrementally tell them more things they can think about. Tagging the runner, looking the runner back, looking for the over-run at third base, etc.

I feel like that's a big one at 10u. The runner going to third is likely going to make the turn, and the third baseman is likely not going to get an out at first on a lot of plays where they field the hit. But they can look to see if that runner is off the bag and tag them.

Aug 12, 2014
1. Take the easy out.
2. Take the easy out.
3. Take the easy out.

In 8U the surest out is the the bases loaded gb to the girl playing pitcher and she runs home and tags the plate herself.

Jun 11, 2013
A lot depends on the level of play and players. Also on your initial question they all depends on the score and inning so there are no hard and fast rules at any level of ball sport. I see a lot of teams work on these situations but don't bother teaching the skill and techniques to make it work. It takes some practice to be able to make the underhand tosses required to get a player at the plate on a slow roller and middle infield plays. So often even up to 14U you see girls want to throw everything overhand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles