Hitting hip and throwing inside

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Alright folks, I've received some good advice from many of you before. I've got a problem with my DD that we just can't seem to resolve. Have seen two different pitching coaches and the issue still persists. So I turn to you fine folks here to give me some advice on what you're seeing. My DD has had this problem of hitting her hip on and off for the last 2 years. Doesn't happen every pitch but does happen frequently. Also, her accuracy has really gone down hill. She now naturally throws inside and has trouble hitting the outside spot. Looking at some video it appears to me that she's throwing where her hand is releasing the ball, towards the inside part of the plate. I feel that maybe some work on her drive mechanics could clear up the hip and accuracy problem. Perhaps she's crossing over her powerline or not landing enough to the left of it. We've been able to correct issues in the past but this one has us stumped. Any insight would be appreciated.

Aug 21, 2008
I see you're from Florida. You know, I don't usually comment on video's people post, for a variety of reasons. But if you were to fly me down from ice cold Nebraska down to sunny Florida, I think we could fix the issue. Of course, it might take 5-7 days of workouts, in the warm sun, before we get it right. Then I'll have to come down the following month to ensure we have this corrected and we keep her on track!!!! :) (it was worth a try!!!)

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Just a bit of clarification.
When talking about the problem of "hitting her hip". We are talking the elbow into the hip?
Do you happen to know what kind of pitch she is throwing in the Video?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019
Florida
Just a bit of clarification.
When talking about the problem of "hitting her hip". We are talking the elbow into the hip?
Do you happen to know what kind of pitch she is throwing in the Video?
She says it's really her hand hitting her thigh. She's throwing fastballs in these videos(I know, they're high. Something else we've been working on lol)

May 18, 2019
If you have money, I'd take Bill's offer😀. My daughter had this same problem over the last year to the point where it became something that had to be addressed. The two possibilities I see from that experience are 1. Her arm circle being too in line with the body vs the hand being further outside of it. 2. The back hip closing too much or too early and thereby getting in the way. I'm hesitant to weigh in as I think those answers are vague and may not be the same issues your daughter has but once we corrected those my DD rarely has the issue.

Aug 21, 2008
If you have money, I'd take Bill's offer😀. My daughter had this same problem over the last year to the point where it became something that had to be addressed. The two possibilities I see from that experience are 1. Her arm circle being too in line with the body vs the hand being further outside of it. 2. The back hip closing too much or too early and thereby getting in the way. I'm hesitant to weigh in as I think those answers are vague and may not be the same issues your daughter has but once we corrected those my DD rarely has the issue.
When I first read this, I thought you were trying to sneak in and steal my idea!! Then I started to think, "maybe he was suggesting that if the OP has the resources he should consider what I had suggested". So, you're either very sneaky (trying to take my trip to Florida away from me) or very generous with your comments. Perhaps both?? lol Thank you for the kid words.

And I'm not saying this to add some kind of incentive to my FANTASTIC idea of bringing me to warm Florida. But, maybe I'd have to see her in person ( I see more when I catch students than I do standing next to them or anywhere else) because I'm just not seeing what the OP is saying. I mean I think I can see why she throws a lot of inside pitches but, I'm just not seeing the contact he described. @guyonabuffalo were these videos just random pitches during a workout with you or is she saying she hit her hand on these particular pitches? You said it's not something that happens every pitch so, on the 2 pitches you showed on here, did she say she hit herself on them?

PS. it sure is cold here.

May 18, 2019
When I first read this, I thought you were trying to sneak in and steal my idea!! Then I started to think, "maybe he was suggesting that if the OP has the resources he should consider what I had suggested". So, you're either very sneaky (trying to take my trip to Florida away from me) or very generous with your comments. Perhaps both?? lol Thank you for the kid words.

And I'm not saying this to add some kind of incentive to my FANTASTIC idea of bringing me to warm Florida. But, maybe I'd have to see her in person ( I see more when I catch students than I do standing next to them or anywhere else) because I'm just not seeing what the OP is saying. I mean I think I can see why she throws a lot of inside pitches but, I'm just not seeing the contact he described. @guyonabuffalo were these videos just random pitches during a workout with you or is she saying she hit her hand on these particular pitches? You said it's not something that happens every pitch so, on the 2 pitches you showed on here, did she say she hit herself on them?

Lol...I saw your initial response and got a good laugh. I am neither qualified nor interested...you are both...send Bill to Florida!

Jan 3, 2019
Florida

Yes, she hit it here. It varies how hard she hits here thigh. Sometimes just a little, like in these clips, and sometimes to the point where the ball heads into the ground. But it happens quite frequently.

We're open to suggestions because it's been an issue for quite awhile that no one can really figure out.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A video from the throwing arm side would be useful. If you're the catcher and the cameraman then have her make a couple of pitches into a fence so you can take video from the side, or even one from the back from just slightly to the right. Hitting the hand on the thigh is a bit unusual, typically it's the forearm that makes contact.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
It looks like she is beside the ball rather than behind the ball but hard to tell. If she is beside the ball it might be more of a result rather than a cause.
Just wondering what kind of dropball she throws. Peel or Turnover?

Have you ever done the crossfire drill? (search it here or go to paulygirlfastpitch.com under dropball) I do not think this drill would solve the issue just might highlight the flaw that is causing the issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles