Overhand throwing - infield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2016
My 15 yo needs some serious work on her throwing. Velo is down and her accuracy has gone down.

I feel like she isn’t opening up and just throwing with her arm like a Chinese cat figurine where the paw just goes up and down.

I think a good part of the problem is confidence, but her technique is off and I think improving that will help with the confidence.

Any advice?

Tia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2021
I am a fan of Dan's explanation . can also check out Austin Wasserman - his throwing program is good and worth the cost.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Thanks!

How quickly do you think she could see results? A couple of weeks of consistent work?
Not likely. In my experience it will take much longer.

What age are we talking about?

I wish I could say I was able to fix poor throwing mechanics of the players I coached in a couple weeks. In all honesty, it took years to get a entire team of 10u girls to throw well. There was one girl that could just not grasp the concept (she no longer plays softball). Almost all of the girls throw pretty well now. Of course some of them got stronger arms than others but they all throw with pretty good mechanics, or much better mechanics than they hand when they were little.

What I am trying to say is it will take time. Just like any other skill such as swinging a bat. You can expect small improvements but don't expect a player to fix throwing mechanics in a couple of sessions.

Nov 18, 2015
Was it just me, or did anyone else think to themselves " @ANNASDAD daughter can't throw? talk about irony....". :)

But back to @Annesdad real question - yes - Dan Blewetts video's and all of Austin Wasserman's material will help.

Without picture or video (though the waving chinese cat is a good description!) - my initial thought would be it's a symptom of no scapular retraction. Have her keep her arms flat when she breaks her hands (don't immediately go to the "L" position), then squeeze her shoulder blades together, THEN rotate to throw. For shorter, infield-type throws, her arms should stay flat / level until her torso starts turning forward to throw.

Matt Antonelli also has good throwing videos showing MLB and college softball players. Hope this helps (and makes sense). Post a video or picture if you can for more accurate feedback.

Oct 4, 2016
Not likely. In my experience it will take much longer.

What age are we talking about?

I wish I could say I was able to fix poor throwing mechanics of the players I coached in a couple weeks. In all honesty, it took years to get a entire team of 10u girls to throw well. There was one girl that could just not grasp the concept (she no longer plays softball). Almost all of the girls throw pretty well now. Of course some of them got stronger arms than others but they all throw with pretty good mechanics, or much better mechanics than they hand when they were little.

What I am trying to say is it will take time. Just like any other skill such as swinging a bat. You can expect small improvements but don't expect a player to fix throwing mechanics in a couple of sessions.

Yeah, I didn’t mean fix it, but be able for her to see improved velo, and accuracy with that velo. She used to throw differently, but in her teenage years it’s changed and I just haven’t been able to figure it out in order to help her.

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll let you all know how things go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad