High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would say it deserves a reasoning for those being recruited. Potential red flag depending on the answer. Do you live in a rural area? Did you get beat out? Do you and the coach not see eye to eye?
Hmmm reasoning, okay agree some coaches will ask, lets think that through...

The question was does it matter if a player plays in high school or not.

So I asked...
is it a deal-breaker if they don't play softball in high school?
in specific~is it a deal-breaker

The answer to that question is NO.

While it may seem that the answer to that question may be relevant in reality the answer to that question
(Why they did not play is) either irrelevant or cannot be researched nor confirmed in 99 % of situations.
(ie: a good answer to that question is easy to come up with)

Can share from my experience have never encountered a situation where a player was not offered a scholarship because they did not play softball in high school.

Have encountered people who could not get scholarships to four-year universities/colleges because of poor grades and families/players that had bad reputations.
This is a more important and relevant to recruitment imo than actually playing hs.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The question was does it matter if a player plays in high school or not.

So I asked the person who spoke about coaching at a college and recruitment.
is that a deal-breaker if they don't play softball in high school?

in specific~
is it a deal-breaker if they do not play softball in high school.

The answer to that question is NO.

While it may seem that the answer to that question may be relevant and reality the answer to that question cannot be researched or confirm in 99 % of situations
and his answer was it depends on why..if you didn't play because you head-butted your coach then perhaps it would be important :p

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Coach~ why did you not play softball in high school?

Player~ I wanted to focus on my grades.

Thats the answer!

Important
For the far majority of players the most important thing is having a gpa/test scores to be accepted into the college. Thats the single most important thing!

As to the folks that want to say
coaches want to see that you can play a sport and go to high school.
The coaches already know that travel by itself has such an intense schedule to it including training on your own, that already qualifies for being able to handle a full schedule.

Jun 8, 2016
Coach~ why did you not play softball in high school?

Player~ I wanted to focus on my grades.

Thats the answer!
So lie if that isn't the actual reason?

There are a lot of stories on here from parents complaining about their kid's HS ball experience and many of us tell them to not play if they are having such a bad experience..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So lie if that isn't the actual reason?
Handle your life the way you want to. If you think it's a lie that players are working on good grades to get into college that's up to your personal interpretation. But usually there is fact ( even a smidgen) if a player is trying to get to College they are working on having good grades.

Have known players that would not get approached by college coaches because of their parents.

Jun 8, 2016
Handle your life the way you want to. If you think it's a lie that players are working on good grades to get into college that's up to your personal interpretation. But usually there is fact if a player is trying to get to College they are working on having good grades
You responded before I edited to add what we see on here all the time.

Jun 8, 2016
I would rather tell the college coach the HS coach didn't know wth he/she was doing then to give some generic statement about grades that sounds like it came from a Politician's Crisis Management team.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
No disputing what you said. I just think in today's society where everything is a lawsuit, this would be brought up over and over as being unfair. Why this rule is in place makes no sense but, the fact that it's there goes to the heart of the animosity felt between HS and TB programs. People often ask why they don't work together and it's pretty clear why they don't. I do wish they'd stop blaming each other and get the rule changed. It'd be interesting to see how many more players will play in HS if they're allowed to do both. I believe the level of play would go up significantly.
I do see your point of view. I do think that if the players are allowed to do both HS teams would be second choice all the time because of the amount of money mom and dad have put into TB.

My belief is that the rule started with basketball because when TB started getting popular and HS coaches would start travel teams and practice on Sunday's. The travel team would be his HS team under the umbrella of a TB organization so he could bypass the HS rule of no Sunday practice or contact. Or at least that was part of the issue. In Indiana most rules are laid out for all sports.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You responded before I edited to add what we see on here all the time.
think there's a good point to what you're saying...
in that
it is better to not say anything at all than it is to tell a crappy horror story of junk and gossip to a college coach.

Jun 8, 2016
Plus when you are playing in college you have to "work on your grades" while still playing, with courses which are much more difficult then the cheeseball classes most take in HS, so how does that look?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole