High School Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
Would anyone care to share they're hitting routine/practice plans for their high school teams? We get about 2 weeks before the season starts and then with a heavily packed game schedule we don't get a ton of practices in after the season starts. How much do you try and fix mechanical issues when you're so limited on time and have so many kids? I typically try and use verbal cues and drills to help them feel what they should be doing, but in the end these kids are capable of so much more than what they're doing. Any tips would be great!

May 20, 2015
have a selection of drills ready that work on specific needs that may come up; with some of my teams we had a list of 8 or 9 "foundational" tee drills that we used, some to work on load/hand path.....some to work in timing....some to work on finish.....some to work on weight transfer......things I identified at the time to be "essential" or "core" drills to the swings we were developing......they learned all of those pre/off season......and if during the season they had issues come up, we could often refer to one of those drills.......they'd be able to set them up and work on their own or with each other, and knew WHY they were doing it/what they needed to fix

100% did not cover every issue that came up, but I guarantee if I yelled to DD1 during an at bat (I wouldn't, obviously) "Hit/Pause" - she'd know she was getting out in front and having timing issues

obviously this takes some front loading during your preseason, but having a common set of drills and getting the girls to understand WHY they do them ahead of time allows them to work more efficiently during the season, and more importantly, know why they need to do what they are doing

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles