Flabbergasted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
So DD's team played last night. I do GC for the team but it was an away game so not really official book. Somehow during the game, the person doing scoreboard screwed up and advanced us an inning. I didn't really notice because I only look at the scoreboard to make sure the runs and stuff are correct and they were.
I had glanced up once and saw that we were in the top of the 7th according to the scoreboard - but I didn't notice the difference in GC.
When they called the game I was finishing up scoring the last play and it did not give me a msg that we had reached the end of regulation like it normally does - so thought that was odd. And then noticed we were actually in the bottom of the 6th. So I'm like - uhh - we still have an inning to play. But umps are packing up - the teams are having their meetings. I tried to find the other team's scorer but couldn't find them. Finally talked to our coaches after their meeting and was like - yea we have another inning to play. But I guess by then - the umps had left and the other team was cleaning the field.

So I went to check the other team's GC. In the 6th inning they recorded the first two outs and then manually changed the inning to the 7th - scored the 3rd out so it showed up in the 7th inning - so game over for them.

Also we were losing so of course the other team was okay with ending early. I was just so shocked a team would actually do this - we weren't winning but could have come back. I just question the integrity of a team that would do this. Luckily it was not region play.

At home games - I sit in the scoreboard area and someone else does the board while I do GC. She's very careful to not screw up the innings and she always makes sure what inning we're in.

May 27, 2022
Dang. It would be interesting to talk to their scorer and coach and see what they have to saw about it...

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I checked the user who scored their game and it shows as the Head Coach but I'm assuming he lets someone use his account to score.
Our coach did talk to their coach but I'm not really sure what was said.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Something very similar happened to DD's HS team. I'm doing Visitor GC and the game ended with one out to go. We were losing and both teams are packing up and umps leave the field. I scramble to find the HS kid who is keeping score and we both confirmed one out to go. We got everyone back on the field and the inevitable happened...we lost. My point was, it was an incomplete district game, we need to finish!

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We had a similar incident this spring during school ball. We were winning 13-2 at the end of the 5th inning, so we were one run short of a mercy rule victory. The home team's scoreboard operator had the inning listed as the 6th, not the 5th, so everyone thought it was a mercy win, even the umps. Like a dope, I walked to by friend who kept GC for their team and asked him if it was the 5th or 6th. He said, "You're right, it is the 5th." We told the coaches, and the umpires made us play the 6th inning in darkening conditions.

They went on to score 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th in near darkness, 5 of which were earned. We still wound up winning 13-8, but that extra inning cost my daughter 5 extra earned runs. Her ERA for the regular season was 1.69 when it would've been 1.25 had I kept my mouth shut.

In fairness, the umps never should have allowed the game to be played in those twilight conditions. There were three dropped balls that inning that the girls just couldn't see due to darkness, but they had to be listed as hits, not errors.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
We had a similar incident this spring during school ball. We were winning 13-2 at the end of the 5th inning, so we were one run short of a mercy rule victory. The home team's scoreboard operator had the inning listed as the 6th, not the 5th, so everyone thought it was a mercy win, even the umps. Like a dope, I walked to by friend who kept GC for their team and asked him if it was the 5th or 6th. He said, "You're right, it is the 5th." We told the coaches, and the umpires made us play the 6th inning in darkening conditions.

They went on to score 6 runs in the bottom of the 6th in near darkness, 5 of which were earned. We still wound up winning 13-8, but that extra inning cost my daughter 5 extra earned runs. Her ERA for the regular season was 1.69 when it would've been 1.25 had I kept my mouth shut.

In fairness, the umps never should have allowed the game to be played in those twilight conditions. There were three dropped balls that inning that the girls just couldn't see due to darkness, but they had to be listed as hits, not errors.

So ... You corrected everybody and drug them back on the field for another inning ... but it was the umpires' fault for making you play in those twilight conditions?

umm-castle.gif

I started to say "Assuming you use NFHS rules, the game should have been over and you should not have played that inning or possibly the bottom of the 5th, depending on how the scoring went." Then I remembered run rules are state adopted, not NFHS written.

EDIT: Interesting ... NYSPHSAA, in addition to having the worst state high school association name, does NOT seem to use NFHS according to their website. They use USA. So ... my above comment stands despite the technicality.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I was just so shocked a team would actually do this - we weren't winning but could have come back. I just question the integrity of a team that would do this.

There's got to be more to the story. What's shocking to me is that you're the only one who appears to have noticed this. Coaches didn't notice. Players didn't notice. Umpires didn't notice. Parents didn't notice. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd want to interview multiple parties here. Doesn't add up. But if you are correct in your suspicions, then yes, it's flabbergasting.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
EDIT: Interesting ... NYSPHSAA, in addition to having the worst state high school association name, does NOT seem to use NFHS according to their website. They use USA. So ... my above comment stands despite the technicality.
If I am reading you and the rule book correctly, the game should have ended at 13-2 after five innings due to USA rules? 1 Fast Pitch: a Men’s: 15 after three innings, 12 after four innings or seven after five innings. b Women’s and JO: 15 after three innings, 12 after four innings or eight after five innings. 2

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
There's got to be more to the story. What's shocking to me is that you're the only one who appears to have noticed this. Coaches didn't notice. Players didn't notice. Umpires didn't notice. Parents didn't notice. Not saying you're wrong, but I'd want to interview multiple parties here. Doesn't add up. But if you are correct in your suspicions, then yes, it's flabbergasting.
So another parent who was sitting behind outfield with my husband actually noticed the scoreboard was messed up around the 4th inning maybe. And he mentioned it to my husband and they were both wondering if I noticed. Obv I hadn't. When the "game was over" my husband said they could see me with my hands up and were like - oh she knows now. When I told the coaches, they said the person who does the paper book for them in the dugout thought they had screwed up so she noticed an issue too. Obv the other team realized they screwed up because they had to do some manip in GC to get it to flip to the 7th inning. I don't know HOW the umps didn't realize - I thought they had a little book where they wrote stuff like this down. I think everyone else was just confused because the scoreboard was wrong.
Here is the manip they did to GC to get it to be over in the 7th :/ Mine ends in the 6th inning.

1661939528775.png

Jun 8, 2016
There have been instances where NFL teams have been given 5 downs and MLB players 4 strikes..Granted those are more “instantaneous” (couldn’t think of a better word so the quotes will have to suffice…) mistakes but sh#% happens 🤷🏽‍♂️

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414