Coaching Third

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2023
Moving into 10U this year. What are some rules for a third base coach? Situational, base running, etc.

Jun 11, 2013
As Towny9 said less verbal is better. The only time you should really use verbal is if you are yelling to girls already past you to get back for some reason. My advice is to come up with the signals you will use to send/hold runners and work on it a little bit both for them and for you. As far as signs are concerned don't get too complicated.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Teach them the sign to repeat the signs, and not be afraid to use it. Lots of kids will risk missing a sign, nod, step into the box, and not execute rather than think they'll appear foolish declaring they did not understand the signs the first time.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Bring lots of patience. Don't expect them to know how to tag up even if you taught them how. Expect a lot of mistakes. It is ok to discuss calls/plays with an umpire, it is not ok to argue with the umpire. Bunting is not as easy as it looks, even the college girls do a poor job bunting in many situations. Don't overcomplicate things, such as having calls like a hit and run.

Teach the girls and hand sign that the girls can do that lets them know that they don't understand what sign you just gave. This avoids embarrassment by them having to say I don't understand you out loud or just throwing their arms up. Keep it simple it is 10u.

Jan 14, 2021
10U Just be positive and encouraging
12U Take and Sac Bunt signs
14U Steal, Fake Bunt, Squeeze signs
Low stake age levels have to be about players taking chances and figuring things out on their own. For 3B coaching at younger levels it should be about what NOT to do...don't cause that 3rd out at 3B or home...don't rant at umps...don't give hitting tips during an at bat...don't gesticulate and show your frustration and anger...
Just my 2 cents...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish