Wristbands vs traditional signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2024
I am curious to hear opinions about wristbands vs traditional hand signals. I have not installed wristbands in my 10U comp team but have been thinking about it as I prepare for summer comp. I know it's just another method of coaching and communicating, but I also feel like some of the teams I see using wristbands seem more reliant on their coaches and the call rather than understanding game situations and making adjustments themselves. It also seems to take more time and focus from the player, though more efficient for getting in more signs and situational plays. They seem to be the most popular method these days, so maybe I am missing something else. Curious to hear others thoughts on the two systems and what you use and why. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2018
10U? hand signals are fine. In 12U on two different occasions I've run into parents stealing signs and relaying them (sigh). But I never saw it from coaches. We used very basic signs that were very easy to steal if you wanted to. but this is 10U.

May 17, 2012
I am curious to hear opinions about wristbands vs traditional hand signals. I have not installed wristbands in my 10U comp team but have been thinking about it as I prepare for summer comp. I know it's just another method of coaching and communicating, but I also feel like some of the teams I see using wristbands seem more reliant on their coaches and the call rather than understanding game situations and making adjustments themselves. It also seems to take more time and focus from the player, though more efficient for getting in more signs and situational plays. They seem to be the most popular method these days, so maybe I am missing something else. Curious to hear others thoughts on the two systems and what you use and why. Thanks!

Using wristbands is best practice. It is the fastest and most efficient way to communicate from the dugout. When implemented correctly you are guaranteed never to miss a sign. When implemented correctly it is a thing of beauty.

HOWEVER many coaches fail to implement wristbands correctly. They make them too complicated, they vocally call numbers, don't understand when a pitcher can receive a signal, etc.

So when done correctly they are awesome when done poorly everyone suffers.

Jun 22, 2008
Pitcher can receive a signal anytime, there is no restriction on when the pitcher can recieve a signal in any club ball ruleset I am aware of. NCAA is the one that restricts the pitcher until they are on the pitching plate. But, they must at least simulate taking a signal from the catcher (just look at the catcher for a brief moment with the hands separated after engaging the pitching plate).

If you are going to use wristbands or any kind of called out codes, do yourself a favor and do not use the word BLUE in any of your codes.

Feb 27, 2024
Using wristbands is best practice. It is the fastest and most efficient way to communicate from the dugout. When implemented correctly you are guaranteed never to miss a sign. When implemented correctly it is a thing of beauty.

HOWEVER many coaches fail to implement wristbands correctly. They make them too complicated, they vocally call numbers, don't understand when a pitcher can receive a signal, etc.

So when done correctly they are awesome when done poorly everyone suffers.
All of the teams I've seen that come to mind call out the numbers. Is the alternative to vocally calling them out using your fingers or some other method? If there's a video or article you can point me to that explains how to implement them correctly, I would love to see it. Thanks!

Aug 20, 2017
Calling them out is easiest. At the end of the day you do what is best for you and your team. Don’t worry about folks that say calling numbers out loud is annoying! You have to work wristband calls in practice. Stage it. Put a runner at 1B and call stuff. Hammer execution also. Put runners at 1st and 2nd and call stuff. Put a runner at 3rd and call stuff.

Feb 27, 2024
Wristbands are infinitely better when done well.
Only 1 in 10 coaches do them well
Do you have any resources you can point me to see how to do them well? It seems making them more simple, less numbers and complexity, is one method. Wondering if there are any other tips or links to good resources you could provide. I'm trying to take a serious look at if it's worth it for me and my team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad