Wristbands vs traditional signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
This has occurred to some coaches, so we have a signal that means "hit away/let's go". We don't even flash numbers it's just a wave of the hand, and it takes half a second.

Also, many of our numbers mean nothing (hit away) and the players know this immediately when they see the number (as the number ends in a 4 or 5, whatever for that game).

The players just glance at the wristband for show/routine.

The majority of the time we are waiting for the umpire or the other team to play ball.
Sounds like you have it down. My pet peeve with wrist bands is obvious hit away situations coach calls out number and batters fumble with wrist bands. You just want to say

I would love to devise a scheme that all numbers tell the batter what to do through computation vs wrist band.
Divisible by 3, steel. Beginning number 6 or 8 swing. Multiple of 5, take. Beginning number 4 or five bunt.

So a bunt and run would be 402, a straight steel would be, 150. 801 would be steal and swing away.
Probably lots of missed signs but at least they would develop math skills.

Jun 18, 2023
Sounds like you have it down. My pet peeve with wrist bands is obvious hit away situations coach calls out number and batters fumble with wrist bands. You just want to say

I would love to devise a scheme that all numbers tell the batter what to do through computation vs wrist band.
Divisible by 3, steel. Beginning number 6 or 8 swing. Multiple of 5, take. Beginning number 4 or five bunt.

So a bunt and run would be 402, a straight steel would be, 150. 801 would be steal and swing away.

If it's a perfect number, it's a suicide squeeze. If it's prime, hit and run.

But if you do this, you have to make the Mathletes do long toss for every question they miss.

Apr 14, 2022
Game pace is strictly up to the coach. I don't think wristbands change the game if the coach has a clue what they are doing. The same coaches calling out wristband numbers with two strikes and two outs and nobody one are the same coaches who will be giving 20 seconds worth of signs in the same situation.

Offensively I don't use the wristbands until someone is on base. Even then it doesn't mean I am calling anything off the wristband. That is dependent based on game situation and/or players up to bat or on base. Still have some flash signals if needed.

Pitch calling can be sped up if the coach knows what they are doing. Have a plan in place on how you want to sequence a batter but be ready to make an adjustment based on if you pitcher isn't executing. Essentially an if/then plan BEFORE each pitch.
I think wristbands are inherently slower.
1. Coach looking for number.
2. Batter has to look for the number.
2. The coach has spent time on developing this awesome wristband and wants to use it, even if no need.

Apr 17, 2019

Lol, this is exactly how I introduced my players to the concept of play calling (at 12u).

If the numbers add up to 9, bunt.
For pitchers, if it's odd, fastball, even, changeup. The first position indicated location.

Apr 14, 2022
If it's a perfect number, it's a suicide squeeze. If it's prime, hit and run.

But if you do this, you have to make the Mathletes do long toss for every question they miss.
I thought about prime first, but it makes it hard to have a number mean one thing to the batter and another to the runner.
Perfect squares will be awesome coach could call out 961, and see whose paying attention.

Might be able to divisable by 3,4,5. Kudos to the other team if they pick the pattern.

Mar 13, 2017
Just wanted to add my two cents.

Our team has been using wristbands since 10U (16U now), and the key is just really being consistent, always making your call at the same point, whether it be offense or defense, so it becomes just a normal part of the hitters/pitchers routine. So the coach that's doing the calling needs to be prepared and always thinking ahead (like all good coaches).

I've used Never Miss a Sign and 3up3down, which other posters referenced. We're currently using newdiamondsports.com, which I like because they offer more than just wristbands.

You're also starting to see electronic systems hit the market, but I haven't used any of those, and they're not legal under all rule sets.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2015
I personally like when the player refuses to wear the wristband as it's designed, and gets tossed from the game... followed by coach for losing his mind on the ump.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad