Babe ruth fast pitch 10u rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see any leeway in the rule especially since it hit her as she was swinging evidenced by the fact the ball lands in fair territory that allows a ball to be called. I guess you could have some bizarre scenario where the ball hits the girl then by some reflex or instinct she made a swinging motion AFTER being hit. I might be stumped on that one since technically it is a dead ball BEFORE she swings but given the rule specifically mentions swinging at a ball that hits you is a strike I would probably still call it a dead ball strike.

The same goes for a girl whose arm/hand is in the strike zone, you have to ask yourself assuming the ball did not hit her would you have called it a strike if the answer is yes then it is still a strike if the answer is no then she takes her base.

Jun 22, 2010
I guess you could have some bizarre scenario where the ball hits the girl then by some reflex or instinct she made a swinging motion AFTER being hit. I might be stumped on that one since technically it is a dead ball BEFORE she swings but given the rule specifically mentions swinging at a ball that hits you is a strike I would probably still call it a dead ball strike.
As with any other swing, the umpire has to judge whether it was an attempt to hit the ball.

As with any other swing, the umpire has to judge whether it was an attempt to hit the ball.

Exactly which is why I think the easiest way to think about it is to forget that the ball hit the batter and just make the strike or ball call based on what you see batter do or ball cross the plate. The dead ball call part is the easy part since it hit her and not related to the strike or ball call.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Ok 10u fast pitch under babe ruth rules. Batter swings but as she swinging the ball also hits her hand now the ball is in fair what is the official rulining?

The OP has the batter swinging, it doesn't say she is trying to keep from getting hit or any other scenario. Thus = Dead ball, count 0-2

Ok 10u fast pitch under babe ruth rules. Batter swings but as she swinging the ball also hits her hand now the ball is in fair what is the official rulining?

The OP has the batter swinging, it doesn't say she is trying to keep from getting hit or any other scenario. Thus = Dead ball, count 0-2

make it 1-1 as there was a ball before the strike is now

And your 100% wrong

how i did what you guys said so how the hell is it wrong when i am agreeing with you how hard is that to understand?

Then you would be incorrect. It is a dead ball (due to the pitch hitting the batter), but how can you rule the pitch a ball when the batter swung at it?

1-0 before it happen i rule it a dead ball strike

I just don't see any leeway in the rule especially since it hit her as she was swinging evidenced by the fact the ball lands in fair territory that allows a ball to be called. I guess you could have some bizarre scenario where the ball hits the girl then by some reflex or instinct she made a swinging motion AFTER being hit. I might be stumped on that one since technically it is a dead ball BEFORE she swings but given the rule specifically mentions swinging at a ball that hits you is a strike I would probably still call it a dead ball strike.

The same goes for a girl whose arm/hand is in the strike zone, you have to ask yourself assuming the ball did not hit her would you have called it a strike if the answer is yes then it is still a strike if the answer is no then she takes her base.

Its the first time it happen but what i bold is pretty much what i called .

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Let some more people answer comp, It was a 0-1 one count when it happen i just like to see other answers very confusing tell you the truth i look at rules i just don't see anything that say fair/dead ball etc... its one of the odd plays that happen (i am sure it happen before) though first time for me. If i got it wrong i want to make sure i get it right next time. I tell you what i rule afterwords.

You your self said it was 0-1 count when it happened.... so it's now 0-2

You might have meant to say 1-0 count but you didn't, so therefore a 1-1 count described by you would have been 100% incorrect with the information you provided.

Last edited:
So hopefully after all this we just have a failure to communicate...we all thought you called it a ball because of the count you had in your original post. If you called it a strike and a dead ball then you were correct it just did not seem like that given the information in your original post that it was an 0-1 count but now you had it 1-1.

You your self said it was 0-1 count when it happened.... so it's now 0-2

You might have meant to say 1-0 count but you didn't, so therefore a 1-1 count described by you would have been 100% incorrect with the information you provided.

i couldn't find my post but yea i think it was my fault on that part but when i am agreeing with you wouldn't that mean its 1-1 and the mistake should be noticeable. btw i should of notice though i really was not to worried at the time want the count was.

So hopefully after all this we just have a failure to communicate...we all thought you called it a ball because of the count you had in your original post. If you called it a strike and a dead ball then you were correct it just did not seem like that given the information in your original post that it was an 0-1 count but now you had it 1-1.

i double check that and make sure i keep better eye on it i think i notice that. i remember when i learn to umpire i did the balls on the wrong hand till someone told him the correct hand.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2010
I'm not trying to be unkind, Christopher, but I wonder whether English is your first language. All of your posts are a little difficult to follow, in part because of the lack of capitalization and the way you phrase things. It's easy enough to misunderstand things on a forum like this, and if people know you have difficulties with the language, they might be a little more understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd