Hitting a pitch that bounced

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
It would help if it were properly referred to as an uncaught third strike.
That doesn't really fit either as it can actually be caught cleanly but still be ruled as uncaught. If the ball hits the ground after release by the pitcher, it is considered uncaught even if the catcher does catch it.

Jun 8, 2016
That doesn't really fit either as it can actually be caught cleanly but still be ruled as uncaught. If the ball hits the ground after release by the pitcher, it is considered uncaught even if the catcher does catch it.
I am partial to calling it the "Everybody scream run at the top of their lungs regardless of whether the batter is able to or not " third strike.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022
It's not caught cleanly if it bounces. If it touches the ground, it's uncaught.

Jul 27, 2021
It would help if it were properly referred to as an uncaught third strike.
I have been saying DTS that way as well. I have had to explain this rule and the definition of a catch to a few "Travel" team coaches over the years.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The coach pitches the ball short of the plate. It bounces, and the batter swings and hits the ball. I point fair and look to see what happens. The batter-runner reaches first safely.
The first game my DD pitched in D1, the batter doubled off a pitch that hit the front of the plate and then bounced straight up.

May 29, 2015
It's not caught cleanly if it bounces. If it touches the ground, it's uncaught.

When I was younger, I played plenty of games of 500 that would say otherwise. 100 points for flies, 75 points on one bounce, 50 points on two bounces, 25 points for grounders. Full contact allowed.

If the catcher scoops it off a bounce and saves a wild pitch, you don't yell at her for not catching it.

A few years ago I had two different coaches (one baseball and one softball) who, within a few weeks of one another, came out to argue it couldn't be a UK3 (or D3K) because the catcher didn't drop it. Sorry to say, I laughed at the first one ... and then figured out he was serious.

The misconception of a bounced pitch being a dead ball is not so misconceived ... it just doesn't stem from any official rule book. It comes from house leagues where pitchers are not developed and bounce pitches in routinely ... not allowing the HBP to count gives hitters more of a chance of hitting. Theoretically ...

Jan 22, 2011
The misconception of a bounced pitch being a dead ball is not so misconceived ... it just doesn't stem from any official rule book. It comes from house leagues where pitchers are not developed and bounce pitches in routinely ... not allowing the HBP to count gives hitters more of a chance of hitting. Theoretically ...

Yes, there is a fair amount of confusion from parents and some coaches the first few games they play without house rules, like if you get hit by a pitch that bounces, that isn't a HPB. Especially when you are umpiring players' first few games under 10u rules, or 8u tournament ball with fewer special rules for play than 8u rec.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles