New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
What differentiates? The motion of the bat is similar to a bunt that is not shown early.
Both cases bat goes down from shoulder to ball stopping on contact.

Did you bother to read the definition of a drag bunt? The difference is, swinging to contact with the intent to hit the ball with force vs sticking the bat out and just dragging it along with the motion of the batters body. 2 completely different actions with 2 completely different intents. Its not that hard to differentiate.

Apr 14, 2022
That is a bunt, exactly what the title says.
I see this or something very similar called a swing in almost every tournament. Bat held at shoulder bringing the bat through the zone punching down on the ball. Only real difference is hands are together not separated.

Jun 22, 2008
I see this or something very similar called a swing in almost every tournament. Bat held at shoulder bringing the bat through the zone punching down on the ball. Only real difference is hands are together not separated.
And these are all bunts. As I have already said, hand position has nothing to do with it being a bunt or not. It has to do with the batters actions with the bat, are they swinging or are they attempting to just tap the ball softly? Now, I will say there are umpires out there that believe anything a slapper does is a slap and not a bunt, but that is not true.

May 13, 2023
Are there times when you yourself see a distinct difference in the forward motion of the bat?
Its point of driving forward across and in front of the plate?
Or
when it stops driving force?

Or
➡️Are you only looking at this of how the mechanics are handling the bat?

If you are commenting about mechanics in your perspective and that's only what you are interpreting... then can understand why you are not differentiating bunt or slap. Because the mechanics of how the body moves may be similar.

However, the mechanics and force of how those mechanics are implemented
Can and do have difference of application/results.

May 13, 2023
And these are all bunts. As I have already said, hand position has nothing to do with it being a bunt or not. It has to do with the batters actions with the bat, are they swinging or are they attempting to just tap the ball softly?

Now, I will say there are umpires out there that believe anything a slapper does is a slap and not a bunt, but that is not true.
✔️ body moving forward does not mean the bat is driving forward!
Bat can still have angle to the plate without increased drive.

Getting feet moving can look deceiving.

I do think while I was catching that there were umpires whose calling of Balls and Strikes would get altered when batters were moving in the Box. I think it can cause a mental moment of confusion or distraction for a person to get used to seeing.
Could that happen in their perspective of if it was a bunt or a slap? Absolutely believe so.
And to that there are coaches who will speak to umpires about their interpretation of calls they have made.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles