New rule proposal!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Not that we can really quantify or capture this while calling a game, nor am I proposing this as a definition, but a swing has angular velocity, a bunt has linear velocity.

/sarcasm I recommend as part of the investment to provide robotic umpires at all levels of youth softball, from rec league to PGF/Alliance championships, we require all bats to include sensors to differentiate between angular and linear velocity. Hence, the robots have that information, so they call slaps vs. bunts correctly. Will likely be helpful for getting check swing calls right as well. All bats that don't have that sensor will be declared illegal. While we are at it, use sensors on pitcher's cleats and cameras to get the leap vs. replant call correct.

May 29, 2015
/sarcasm I recommend as part of the investment to provide robotic umpires at all levels of youth softball, from rec league to PGF/Alliance championships, we require all bats to include sensors to differentiate between angular and linear velocity. Hence, the robots have that information, so they call slaps vs. bunts correctly. Will likely be helpful for getting check swing calls right as well. All bats that don't have that sensor will be declared illegal. While we are at it, use sensors on pitcher's cleats and cameras to get the leap vs. replant call correct.

Robo Manfred has a job offer for you . . . until you are replaced with automation and AI, anyway.

Apr 14, 2022
😆 the same tech could do both no need for sensors. It could also determine illegal pitch. Leaping is legal now but before if you think a few foul balls makes a boring game try illegal pitch every time a drag comes off the ground or determining if the foot stays level with a hole.
Unfortunately I think you we will see automated strikes in 5 years if it becomes cheep enough. It will be driven by ump shortages. I may get to see my wife mad at a robot on borderline strike calls. 😂
I think umps do a great job and them owning the strike zone is part of the game. Judgement is part of the game. Using it training might not be bad.

May 13, 2023
Human or robo
There will always be people who will be unsatisfied and or want to complain.

Once again
When at bat
Control what we can
The bat in our hands!

May 29, 2015
Human or robo
There will always be people who will be unsatisfied and or want to complain.

Once again
When at bat
Control what we can
The bat in our hands!

Robo umps will lead to the demand for predictive technology that will tell the batter when to swing.

I can solve three problems with one solution that we already have . . . no more illegal pitches, no more questionable ball/strike calls, no more waiting on the coach suddenly realizing it is time for another pitch (dang, I didn't know we needed to throw another pitch!) and having to call off the winning Pick-3 numbers.

Robo pitchers, aka pitching machines. Just outlaw human pitchers. The coach can just pre-plan (ha!) and punch his codes into the keypad.

On the downside, that reduces the need for coaches' daughters by 50%.

Oct 4, 2018
I like watching a good slapper. DD was a pitcher. Good slappers are trying to HIT the ball into the ground and use speed or power slap the ball. The issue i have is the kid that isn't a true slapper. Is just a fast righty who cant hit that way and is simply check swinging (basically half swing or less while moving forward in the box) from the left side. They aren't trying to hit and are just trying to make contact until they are walked. And yes, i wanted my DD to go up and in. Not in any way to hit the batter, but thats the toughest pitch for those kids to handle.

Yup. There's lots of this out there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles