another 10U swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Compare how she's getting the bat started in these swings to what she's doing now. In these clips she gets her barrel moving without dropping her hands. Some of us refer to this as "turning the barrel with the hands". We may also say that she has created a hand pivot point because she is moving the barrel without dropping her hands or moving them forward towards the pitcher. She is getting a head start with the barrel. Notice how she times the flattening of the barrel move with her stride. She is reading the pitch while her barrel is flattening behind her. When she makes the decision to swing, her barrel is already in motion and flattening into the swing plane. Where did this move go? What drills did she do to lose this move?

Now she is dropping her hands down towards her side and then swinging. It's what I refer to as slot-then-swing. She can really hit the ball hard doing what she's doing now, but it's not very efficient and it's really hard to sqaure the ball up consistently.

I like her old swing. A little bit better sync, and a little bit less flattening, and her hips would have been leading naturally. When you get the sequence correct, and get the bat started correctly, the hips are a no teach, IMO. I felt like she was close before, but my comments got shot down. Oh well.

Even here her hands activate late and not until after she flattens the barrel. She's making it tough on herself by swinging with "level shoulders" ... as opposed to having the hips lead the way via 'lateral tilt' and establishing connection.

APujols1_NEW_LateralTilt.gif

utleya_LateralTilt.gif

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Compare how she's getting the bat started in these swings to what she's doing now. In these clips she gets her barrel moving without dropping her hands. Some of us refer to this as "turning the barrel with the hands". We may also say that she has created a hand pivot point because she is moving the barrel without dropping her hands or moving them forward towards the pitcher. She is getting a head start with the barrel. Notice how she times the flattening of the barrel move with her stride. She is reading the pitch while her barrel is flattening behind her. When she makes the decision to swing, her barrel is already in motion and flattening into the swing plane. Where did this move go? What drills did she do to lose this move?

Now she is dropping her hands down towards her side and then swinging. It's what I refer to as slot-then-swing. She can really hit the ball hard doing what she's doing now, but it's not very efficient and it's really hard to sqaure the ball up consistently.

I like her old swing. A little bit better sync, and a little bit less flattening, and her hips would have been leading naturally. When you get the sequence correct, and get the bat started correctly, the hips are a no teach, IMO. I felt like she was close before, but my comments got shot down. Oh well.

I wanted to expand on this post from yesterday. Note the part highlighted in red.

As I said, I liked the way she got the bat started in the original clips. It's not as good as it could have been, but IMO she had the right idea. Why not go to this girl and say something like "I like the way you get your bat/barrel started, don't ever change that part of your swing." Then start introducing her to hip and hand cocking. Can some of you visualize how adding a simple hip and hand cock would dramatically change her sequence? There is a very good possibility that a hip and hand cock would delay the timing of her barrel flattening until much later in her stride. And if it didn't delay the barrel flattening, wouldn't it be fairly easy for her to learn to simply maintain her hand cock once she got comfortable with the idea of cocking her hands? Something like "I really like how you're cocking your hands now. Now all I need you to do is hold that hand cock just a little bit longer as you stride".

If the barrel flattneing is delayed until the lead foot is close to or at toe touch, then the barrel will be flattening into toe touch/heel plant. Which means the barrel will be flattening as the hips are unwinding. When the barrel is flattening, the hands are tied up at the the back shoulder. The hands are essentialy busy and are therefore stuck at the back shoulder. This is what gives the hips a chance to get out in front. IMO, it all comes back to a good sequence and getting the hands flat in such a way where they stay in place at the back shoulder while the hands/barrel are flattening.

I agree that her sequence is off in the original clip and she flattens the bat too soon. However IMO she had the basic idea correct, and I felt like she had a good foundation to work from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC