another 10U swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
**Updated Swing on page 4**

Thanks for all the input on this site...in my short time here I am astounded by how little I really knew. After reading all the great input from the 10u analysis below I figure I would jump in as well.

Here are a couple of videos of my 10u daughter. After watching videos and reading this site I know her swing has some issues but with the season coming up I don't know what we should spend time on (the second video is a little more recent...I have been trying to get her to reduce her stride). Any tips would be great.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Here is a great place to start. This is one of the nicer 10 year old swings I've seen. I suggest pausing each video at similar positions, study where the different body parts are and how they got there for the hitter below and your daughter. Try to have her comfortably reproduce the rhythm and movements of the upper and lower body of better swings. Break it down a little at a time and look for details (hand path first move, point of contact, finish, head position, front leg and knee...). in my opinion a detail like shortening the stride will be of limited value because her entire swing concept needs to be considered and changed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cArA4u8rM3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cArA4u8rM3A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There are some nice clips on Fastpitch Trainer's You Tube channel where this clip comes from and I believe he has contributed to this discussion board from time to time.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I'll check that out...but that is what I was afraid of...that her swing had so many issues that we would essentially have to start over and with the season so close (already into ASA practices) I don't know if that can be accomplished.

Here is a great place to start. This is one of the nicer 10 year old swings I've seen. I suggest pausing each video at similar positions, study where the different body parts are and how they got there for the hitter below and your daughter. Try to have her comfortably reproduce the rhythm and movements of the upper and lower body of better swings. Break it down a little at a time and look for details (hand path first move, point of contact, finish, head position, front leg and knee...). in my opinion a detail like shortening the stride will be of limited value because her entire swing concept needs to be considered and changed.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let me ask this, about the few video's that I've seen on here. I was always taught ( in baseball ) during contact and follow through, both feet ( toes ) should be pointing forward. Not just a little but a direct line. I have noticed most on here don't. They are 'angled' forward but not turned fully. Is this a 'softball' thing? Just wondering? It was always explained to me that the hips can't produce the full angle of power without the front leg/foot turned facing fully forward.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
This is a standard bat drag fan the front leg open, adjust for pitch location with the arms and drag the bat through swing. Very common in young ones. She should hit beginner pitching just fine so maybe you don't want to start this project till you have some time. Read up on bat drag here Analysis and on O Leary's site. Yeah, the other young hitter has a very good age level swing and it's good for your DD to see young ones do it. For modeling though I'd suggest looking around on this link. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/olympic You couldn't go wrong with using Rivera for a model. If you are gung ho about excellence, I'd suggest studying Englishbey's stuff.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Let me ask this, about the few video's that I've seen on here. I was always taught ( in baseball ) during contact and follow through, both feet ( toes ) should be pointing forward. Not just a little but a direct line. I have noticed most on here don't. They are 'angled' forward but not turned fully. Is this a 'softball' thing? Just wondering? It was always explained to me that the hips can't produce the full angle of power without the front leg/foot turned facing fully forward.

If you study ML swings you will see examples at both ends of the spectrum with most somewhere in the middle.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I'll check that out...but that is what I was afraid of...that her swing had so many issues that we would essentially have to start over and with the season so close (already into ASA practices) I don't know if that can be accomplished.
Don't sweat it. She is only 10. Keep working at it. Applaud her progress. Let her know she is at the beginning stages of developing her swing and that if she works hard she will improve all year. She'll hit a few just like she is but will struggle badly against better pitching, even at 10U. Go ahead and start over. When it comes to game time she will still have to swing and she'll combine what she learns with what she is not doing right currently. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Have fun with it. Enjoy age 10...it goes fast.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Exactly. You have a LOT of time. If she can turn 13 with a good swing she will be WAY ahead of most.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks for all the input on this site...in my short time here I am astounded by how little I really knew. After reading all the great input from the 10u analysis below I figure I would jump in as well.

Here are a couple of videos of my 10u daughter. After watching videos and reading this site I know her swing has some issues but with the season coming up I don't know what we should spend time on (the second video is a little more recent...I have been trying to get her to reduce her stride). Any tips would be great.

I would ask you do me a favor and try a few things and then tell me how it works or give us some feed back since we are offering to help via a board....

One very simple thing first....stuff a paper towel into the tee and ask her to look forward like there is a pitcher in front of her and then as she strides to look at the ball on the tee and to SEE THE PAPER towel after she swings. Stress to her just to see the paper towel when she is done. At that point make no other corrections and tell us what happened.

Then after trying that do the hand over drill....simply turn the top hand upside down and as she swings to think pulling the bat out of the top hand and finishing high over the shoulder with one hand Stress only to allow the lead elbow to pull and think elbow knob of bat and see the paper towel when she is done.

I will be looking forward to what you observe with these very simple drills as to what YOU see.

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
That may very well address her arm action. If it address her core rotation would be my question. The arm move and the rotation method are one thing in this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG