Advice on (home) cuts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
We lost a game this weekend because of two misplayed cut-homes. The throws were there, the communications and anticipation was not. One time we should have cut a throw home and taken an easy out at third, another we should have let an online throw go through for an easy out at home.

It's our fault as coaches for not getting them prepared, we realized, so we need to take this part of our game forward for our team (young 14U travel team, 13Us, started raw but getting much better, good athletes learning softball skills).

I'm going to throw out some questions any help or advice would really be appreciated. TKS.

- We use our pitcher for cuts. Like all baseball dads, I grew up using 1b/3b and pitcher backing up bases. But pitcher cuts are how we started and seems to make some sense, especially at early ages where field is "shrunk" and some throws come sooner than a first basemen, for instance, can position themselves. What player does your team use for cut-homes?

- Who should be responsible for calling the play? The catcher? Do fielders (ie, maybe a third base calling for a throw) get involved at all? Do coaches? Does the receiver (in our case the pitcher) have some responsibility to watch runners?

- What are your calls? Do call call "let it go" or only a cut? Do you call base numbers? Does your receiver automatically cut offline throws?

- How do you help the catcher learn to 1) be loud and authoritative and 2) make good decisions? To me this is the biggest thing, who is in control of this play?

Ultimately our girls will only be as good as what we teach them so we want to be able to put a good, workable system in place. We obviously haven't done it yet : >

TKS.

Mar 13, 2010
- We use our pitcher for cuts. Like all baseball dads, I grew up using 1b/3b and pitcher backing up bases. But pitcher cuts are how we started and seems to make some sense, especially at early ages where field is "shrunk" and some throws come sooner than a first basemen, for instance, can position themselves. What player does your team use for cut-homes?

I've always used the pivots. Short for centre and left, second for right. I've never ever seen a pitcher take the cut, unless they suddenly decide to themselves.

- Who should be responsible for calling the play? The catcher? Do fielders (ie, maybe a third base calling for a throw) get involved at all? Do coaches? Does the receiver (in our case the pitcher) have some responsibility to watch runners?

Catcher.

- What are your calls? Do call call "let it go" or only a cut? Do you call base numbers? Does your receiver automatically cut offline throws?

'Make the cut' and 'Home' work pretty well.

- How do you help the catcher learn to 1) be loud and authoritative and 2) make good decisions? To me this is the biggest thing, who is in control of this play?

If anyone knows please tell me! I have a great catcher who has a brilliant stance, great throw and is the softest most pleasant girl you'll ever meet. I tell her to yell at me, to scream out things, she just looks at me like I'm crazy.

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks Lozza. Just to be clear, pitchers are the "second" cut on the cut home. Any additional input appreciate. TKS

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We also use the pitcher as the cut for throws to home. Our catchers call out to cut 4, 3, 2... or if they don't say anything the pitcher lets the ball through, unless if it is off-line then she cuts.

Last Tournament we got 2 outs at 3rd by doing this. Remember good teams will attempt to take an extra base on throws home. Yes we practice this almost every time for 10-15 minutes.

May 14, 2010
We have gone to the model used in baseball. Pitcher goes to a backup position behind 3B or Home. 1B goes to act as 'cut' inside diamond. Catcher will line her up with fielder usig traditional 'left' or 'right'. Catcher makes all calls. She will use 'Cut 3' or 'Cut hold' or similar.

1B is our only cutoff. SS and 2B are 'relays'. Our OF are instructed if the ball is hit at or infront of them, they are to throw to the cutoff- 1B. If they have to move back on the ball, then they can use the middle infielder as a relay.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
We have gone to the model used in baseball. Pitcher goes to a backup position behind 3B or Home. 1B goes to act as 'cut' inside diamond. Catcher will line her up with fielder usig traditional 'left' or 'right'. Catcher makes all calls. She will use 'Cut 3' or 'Cut hold' or similar.

1B is our only cutoff. SS and 2B are 'relays'. Our OF are instructed if the ball is hit at or infront of them, they are to throw to the cutoff- 1B. If they have to move back on the ball, then they can use the middle infielder as a relay.

We tried this last year but were having problems with getting 1B lined up with hits to LF, they were just too slow to be able to get into positions when the ball was hit in front of the outfield, and throws going home. Although I suspect this is from having the slowest team in the State!

May 8, 2009
Florida
I use 1B as cut also. Catcher calls it since she sees the play. "Through" or "Cut". There is a coach out by me that uses "Ice" instead of through. I like that - it is very different and hard to confuse. It also lets the outfield know they are going home with it. Cut is simply cut it and hold, otherwise it is "cut 3, cut 2". Middle infield are relays and are directed to which base they relay. Use a fly ball drill to outfield to practice going to relays and home, letting the catcher call a cut or not.

Oct 25, 2009
I use 1B as cut also. Catcher calls it since she sees the play. "Through" or "Cut". There is a coach out by me that uses "Ice" instead of through. I like that - it is very different and hard to confuse. It also lets the outfield know they are going home with it. Cut is simply cut it and hold, otherwise it is "cut 3, cut 2". Middle infield are relays and are directed to which base they relay. Use a fly ball drill to outfield to practice going to relays and home, letting the catcher call a cut or not.

I like the "ice" call also; eliminates the confusion between "through" and "two". Always use base numbers; "hold" and "home" sound too similar. "Four" is much clearer than "home".

Aug 2, 2008
I'd like to bring this thread back to life for a couple questions.

#1 relays, (ss and 2nd) are only if the of'er cant physically make the throw?

#2 the cut who is in the diamond is lined up by the catcher, is the cut ever lined up with any other base? or always with the catcher, that way the catcher can instruct her to cut, cut3, or ice?

#3 who lines up the relays? on a relay to home does the relay person throw head high to the cut so she can reach it if a cut is called?

Dec 12, 2009
CT
I'd like to bring this thread back to life for a couple questions.

#1 relays, (ss and 2nd) are only if the of'er cant physically make the throw?

#2 the cut who is in the diamond is lined up by the catcher, is the cut ever lined up with any other base? or always with the catcher, that way the catcher can instruct her to cut, cut3, or ice?

#3 who lines up the relays? on a relay to home does the relay person throw head high to the cut so she can reach it if a cut is called?

#1. Yes...SS & 2B are there for relays if the OF is to far to reach Home (at least with a one-hopper). If the ball is shallow enough for the OF to reach (generally if it drops in front of her) she should throw to Home,

#2. Not quite sure what you are asking, but the Catcher is always making the calls for throws home. For throws to 3B from RF we will have F6 act as the cut, with F4 out for the relay if necessary. F5 will position the cut-off similar to catcher on a throw home. Pitcher goes around to back up the throw to 3B.

#3. We don't worry about lining up the relays, since the intent is not for them to let the ball through. They should know where the throw is going, and line themselves up accordingly. On throw to Home we have the cut (F3) position herself with arms raised and yelling to help the OF to identify her easily. We teach them to throw through the upraised arms as the target. That way it can be cut off if necessary, or let through at reach Home (at least on one hop). F3 is also instructed to always cut off weak or off-line throws.

In addition to lining up properly, we also have F3 adjust her position on the infield based on the distance of the incoming throw, and the arm-strength of the thrower. She will generally start about even with the pitcher's plate and adjust in-or-out from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck