30 min Pitching lesson?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My 12yo DD has only been taking private lessons for about 2 months, and we do 30 minutes of actual instruction. We get there 15-20 min early to warm up, and stay about 15min after to work on what was taught during the lesson. So it's an hour.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I say an hour for younger students because their attention spans are limited and we are forced to take a small water break every 10-15 min... work on specifics for the full lesson and come back next lesson having perfected the specifics that were worked on last lesson and practiced every day between lessons.

Oct 3, 2009
And while the expert thinks talking is great, the student hates it, and most of it is not retained (it is just braggiado for the instructor).

This is simply wrong especially with students beginning the pitching process. It is critical that pitchers understand why they should do certain things, what adjustments they need to make, etc. And these aspects are just as important as the what to do. And those whys and adjustments come through explanation, drills, and demonstrations that take time. I have to assume you are not a pitching coach and have very little knowledge in the area?

Nov 29, 2009
We live in a suburban area where you can't afford an hour and you also won't get one because they are full. The kid has to warm up herself on her own time. How to practice? That's about a 2-second conversation...plus have we heard of email, online resources, etc?

And while the expert thinks talking is great, the student hates it, and most of it is not retained (it is just braggiado for the instructor). Lessons are a progression, and after the first introdution and outline, you only need to cover what is needed for the next week, perhap show the link to a video or document they can use as follow up. Perhaps the last lesson in a progression, you might need more info.

The time is better spent pitching, hitting or whatever you are doing (for some time without a crutch in your ear). Same as we do at group/team practice, no one wants a blowhard.

Obviously you've never worked with a beginner pitcher before. It takes time to teach the player AND the parent what the pitcher should and should not be doing. What to work on. What to do if things are falling apart. Making sure they understand the "Why" behind what they are working on. Not every kid has their mechanics perfect and only need a quick look.

Sometimes with experienced pitchers bad things creep into their mechanics and need to be worked on. You never know what you're going to get when a girl walks through the door. I have a girl whom I've been working with for last 3 years. She had to take a long break due to Thoracic Output Syndrome. She started back pitching in the middle of the summer and I have not seen her for a long time. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of things I'll need to work on with her and I doubt an hour will be long enough.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As others have stated, we are probably indulging a troll. By her own admission OLIF knows little about pitching. She leaves that to her AC's if they actually exist. It appears that most of what she posts is more about what she thinks happens with pitching by overhearing snippets from others and applying her unique logic. So YMWDV (Your Mileage Will Definitely Vary)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Don't forget she has 8 year olds throwing strikes after on group clinic.

Most of the instructors I've seen around here do 30 minute lessons though one I know does 45 minute lessons.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My lessons are in 45 minute slots. I am outside, not in a facility. We warm up overhand. I believe the overhand needs to be near perfect and that they have to be able to catch the ball. Plus, in our heat 45 minutes is plenty. It is long enough, to shift gears and bat, if the girl just isn't getting it, that day. My lessons are 6 for $125.00, plus I go to their games when I can.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My lessons are in 45 minute slots. I am outside, not in a facility. We warm up overhand. I believe the overhand needs to be near perfect and that they have to be able to catch the ball. Plus, in our heat 45 minutes is plenty. It is long enough, to shift gears and bat, if the girl just isn't getting it, that day. My lessons are 6 for $125.00, plus I go to their games when I can.

Wow! Got to say it. Would be worth it at twice the price. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207