30 min Pitching lesson?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2014
Ross Ohio
Are you seeing a pitching coach? how much does he/she charge? We do an hour. With a half hour a good portion of that is just warming up and going through her practice drills.

Oct 3, 2009
In my opinion depends on the age. When my DD started she went for one hour once a week and big chunks of that time were spent explaining things, talking about situations that came up during games etc. As time went on it went to 30 minutes a week but she showed up early and was completely warm once the clock started and usually had something very specific in her mind she wanted to work on based on how the previous week's worth of games went. Now as an 18u it is down to monthly 30 minute sessions that again are very focused or just for her PC to watch her for any new bad habits. She usually brings in short videos from games as well.

So I guess the question is age and where is she at in the progression. Regardless the MOST important time spent pitching is NOT in the lesson but the time she spends outside of the lesson working on what she learned. Sounds obvious but as you get to know PCs you get to hear their stories of giving the same one hour lesson week after week because the student does not work outside of the lesson. I hope that helped a little.

Nov 29, 2009
I use 1 hour time slots with my pitchers. Especially with young kids starting out. I find that putting the 30 minute time limit on the lesson makes it feel like we're trying to hurry through it. Often times it's at about the 30 minute mark when the student "gets" what you're trying to show them and start to work on really dialing it in.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If DD is getting the full attention of the instructor, not a group lesson, she likes a 1/2 an hour. Just make sure you warmup before the lesson so she is ready to start on-time.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I've got to go with Sparky on this one.

For a beginning pitcher, an hour is mandatory. The coach is trying to teach the kid a lot of information, including stuff like "how" to practice. I don't see how 30 minute lessons would work.

With advanced and intermediate pitchers, I think 30 minutes of actual lesson time might be enough *IF* the kid showed up ready to start the lesson.

The problem is that advanced pitchers need at least 15 minutes to warm up and "get their minds right" for pitching instruction. After an advanced pitchers gets warm, they like to do a full workout.

So, while the actual instruction time might be 20 to 30 minutes, the pitcher will use at least the entire hour.

If the PI is at a facility, he/she is likely paying, one way or the other, for the time. So, he/she has to charge for the time the kid is using the facility.

My DD and I were in Chicagoland, so getting a space to warmup was not easy. There was no spare space for the kid to warm up before the lesson. She had to get warm during the allocated time, and then do a cool down as best she could.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
My DD and I were in Chicagoland, so getting a space to warmup was not easy. There was no spare space for the kid to warm up before the lesson. She had to get warm during the allocated time, and then do a cool down as best she could.

We are very fortunate with this. When DDs PC built a new house they had pitching lanes added into the plans in back of the garage area. This is not inside the 3 car garage, but is adjoined to the garage area with an outside door entrance. From the outside it just looks like it is part of the house. When we get there we have a lane for warm-up prior to our lesson. It works out great. So when you are looking for a PC make try to find ones that have pitching lanes built into their house! :cool:

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Also, take into consideration how long does it takes for your dd to pick up what the PC is teaching. If she is a quick learner, with a space to do her warmup before her lesson, dd is not new pitcher and if the PC don't spend a large amount of time talking, 30 minutes is doable. These are the things, I personally would consider if I decide to have my dd do 30 minute pitching lessons.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Private, yes
Group, no

Editing to include the following two things:
This did not include warm ups. That should be on your time. Does anyone really pay their PC to watch them warm up?
Each player has an attention span where they will be able to focus and absorb. My teacher wife always reminds me that this is usually equal to their age in years.

Of course, YMMV