Pool Play where 25% of game were played on field set up with 70' Bases

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
Observations from the Sidelines

Local Tournament over 2 days. Pool play (SAT) is 3 games. Single elimination (SUN)
Pool A on field 1, Pool B on field 2. Umpires rotated every 2 games in the complex of 10 fields. Single ump till 2pm, 2 ump after.

Halfway through game 3 of 7 on Field 1 it was noticed that the bases were placed at 70 feet. Verified by tape measure and 60' base posts could not be readily located. Call was made to Parks for help.

Parks was able to respond to fields after game 4. Found base posts with metal detector and fixed field. 15 to 20 min. Games were now over 30 min behind.

One of those situations like pitcher plate set at incorrect distance I believe...just have to move on.

May 29, 2015
Honestly, I should notice stuff like that, but I usually don't. If I worked one field size all the time, I probably would, but I am constantly back and forth between various baseball sizes and softball. Once you get onto a field with 90 foot bases and lots of open space in the outfield and in foul territory, everything seems too small.

The good news @MoJo ... 75% of the games were correct! You'd take a leadoff hitter batting .750 any day!

Curious, how did the games go? Were there more groundouts and stolen bases? I've suggested for a long time that the higher/older levels should move to 70 foot bases to help spread the field out more. The players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger ... so why aren't we adjusting the game to accommodate safety?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Honestly, I should notice stuff like that, but I usually don't. If I worked one field size all the time, I probably would, but I am constantly back and forth between various baseball sizes and softball. Once you get onto a field with 90 foot bases and lots of open space in the outfield and in foul territory, everything seems too small.

The good news @MoJo ... 75% of the games were correct! You'd take a leadoff hitter batting .750 any day!

Curious, how did the games go? Were there more groundouts and stolen bases? I've suggested for a long time that the higher/older levels should move to 70 foot bases to help spread the field out more. The players are getting bigger, faster, and stronger ... so why aren't we adjusting the game to accommodate safety?
The common complaint is it would slow the game down. Personally, I'd love to see a few experimental games played at 70' bases.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
The common complaint is it would slow the game down. Personally, I'd love to see a few experimental games played at 70' bases.

I think 70' bases would almost completely eliminate stealing bases, especially at 14u level and up. Pretty much make slappers non existent. Bunting for a hit would become much more difficult. The outfield would get even smaller since your infield would be positioned deeper.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I think 70' bases would almost completely eliminate stealing bases, especially at 14u level and up. Pretty much make slappers non existent. Bunting for a hit would become much more difficult. The outfield would get even smaller since your infield would be positioned deeper.
I'd also like to see the fences pushed back to a minimum of 230' to eliminate the issue with the outfielders. I'm perfectly fine eliminating slappers. I think the days of the pure slappers are gone anyway.

Apr 1, 2017
We played a game last fall that was setup at 65'. Noticed it about half way through, but it was just a round robin for reps, so finished the game.

With no leadoffs in softball, longer bases definitely eliminate stealing for all but the fastest of the fast. Even at 65', my daughter threw out a pretty fast runner by a full step+. Easy out at 65' that's a "bang bang" play at 60'.

Jul 22, 2015
We played an entire fall HS league with bases set up at 65'. I asked about it right away and they never fixed it because of the slow-pitch league that also played on the field. It definitely changed the timing for bunts, slaps, and steals. The game just didn't flow the way it should. My DD was forced into catching (for the first time) and threw out runners at 2B on steals.

May 29, 2015
Interesting to hear about these experiences!

On 70' bases, the runner is running 10 feet further but the throw from the catcher has to go about 15 feet further. I wouldn't have thought the change would give the catcher that much more of an advantage. On the other hand, the catcher can probably adjust/learn quicker to having to throw farther than the runners would to running further.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Interesting to hear about these experiences!

On 70' bases, the runner is running 10 feet further but the throw from the catcher has to go about 15 feet further. I wouldn't have thought the change would give the catcher that much more of an advantage. On the other hand, the catcher can probably adjust/learn quicker to having to throw farther than the runners would to running further.

The ball travels significantly faster than the runner is running. Even if you have some weak-armed catcher who throws 30 mph, that's still likely more than twice the speed most runners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00